tj7501

Georges Island from shore

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Going on an overnight camping trip to Georges and may bring a small 2-piece rod in case I feel like making a couple of casts for stripers. Has anyone had luck doing this from the shore at Georges? Appreciate any tips or PM's.

Beautiful place and worth a shot for some fish, they are definitely in the area. 

I remember taking some sort of troop transport in 1980 to Georges to watch the tall ships. My father worked in probation and somehow got my brothers and I on the boat with all the police and security heading over, was like a big Higgins boat. Gonna have to ask him about it (I was 7 so it’s a bit hazy). 

38 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Beautiful place and worth a shot for some fish, they are definitely in the area. 

I remember taking some sort of troop transport in 1980 to Georges to watch the tall ships. My father worked in probation and somehow got my brothers and I on the boat with all the police and security heading over, was like a big Higgins boat. Gonna have to ask him about it (I was 7 so it’s a bit hazy). 

I was an 18 year old washing dishes at the Chart House that day, I could hear all the tourists walking by going to see the Tall Ships, very depressing being up to my elbows in garbage all night  Thankfully my older brother was working the service bar feeding me draftees.  The restaurant had a two hour wait from an hour after we opened (4pm) until 11pm that night.  I think I got done at 3am. 

Bring a 2 piece surf rod, you'll be there overnight, prime big bass time.  Plenty of good spots from shore on every one of those islands.

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

Bring a 2 piece surf rod, you'll be there overnight, prime big bass time.  Plenty of good spots from shore on every one of those islands.

I wish I had my Hobie with me, but alas :) I'll try a couple of interesting drop-offs I see on the depth map around the island. I know you're a plastics guy. I have regular pearl and pink slug-gos, with a few jig heads. Is that what you'd recommend for night?

23 mins ago, tj7501 said:

I wish I had my Hobie with me, but alas :) I'll try a couple of interesting drop-offs I see on the depth map around the island. I know you're a plastics guy. I have regular pearl and pink slug-gos, with a few jig heads. Is that what you'd recommend for night?

I've done it from shore and found fish in the moving water around the islands.  A 10" on a half ounce head,  black or black would be my first choice at night.  

If there's a  flat or boulder field, a 14" unweighted fished like an eel could produce a good fish. 

My goal is to get out there for a shore trip once this season. 

I've caught many bass from boat that were within casting distance from shore on George's. I'd start on the side facing Boston light . Plenty of bass there and some biggens too, guy by the name of Bob McKay caught a 60 pounder from shore behind Hull High School a while back, which is just across the way from George's 

20 mins ago, alpha baiter said:

I've caught many bass from boat that were within casting distance from shore on George's. I'd start on the side facing Boston light . Plenty of bass there and some biggens too, guy by the name of Bob McKay caught a 60 pounder from shore behind Hull High School a while back, which is just across the way from George's 

Do you Bubba? Georges offers some good fishing from shore .

10 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Dad says it was an Amphibious Landing Boat that the MDC ran out of Hull, and used for transport of trucks and whatnot to do maintenance on the islands. 

MDC merged with another agency a ways back. I remember they had their own police force, which I believe was folded into the Staties. 

3 hours ago, alpha baiter said:

Toddy :fire: