Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainiac

Hit 'em pretty good.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Fished the entire drop yesterday. started at 0430 and were into fish right off. using the crab fly twitched along the bottom three of us brought thirty or so fish to hand by 0700. Most were low twenties with one thirty incher taken by my friend on his fifth cast !  Nice fat fish which was released immediately.

We took an hour break and then hit the flats. The tide had just a couple hours left in it when we got into position. I'd seen great numbers of 1" sandeels so I switched to a sparse black Clouser. Fish were breaking very regularly as we began to cast. Immediately we were all tight and the fishing was incredible for the next two hours. We probably brought forty or fifty fish each to hand. Again most were that 20" size but three over thirty were also caught.

Best day I've had in a couple years. Get after 'em !  :)

Good to know about the crab flies working out.  What style are you using?  I have modest success with them but mostly with smaller fish, even when dredging deep channels.  I've been using the Crab Pot (green) and Rag Head (tan), no larger than a half-dollar in diameter.