Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The BuzzardsBayBruin

Orcas east of chatham

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Not my video to post but I’m questioning the correct ID.

personally I’m leaning towards the “dorsal fin” in the video actually being the pectoral fin of sei whales or maybe a humpback 

DEA2536D-D7C3-417F-B722-3FF88349968E.png

Agree. That pic alone is not sufficient to id it. Orca dorsal and pectoral fins look completely different. Maybe there are other photos out there?

Just now, bdowning said:

Agree. That pic alone is not sufficient to id it. Orca dorsal and pectoral fins look completely different. Maybe there are other photos out there?

I saw on Facebook this AM a news reporter contacting him, so maybe the video will be in the news in the next day or so.  

8 mins ago, bdowning said:

Cool. Id be the first in line applauding if the orcas were out there. :cool:

Me too.  I’ve been told that in the 70s a pod chased a school of giants up onto Wingaersheek beach.  I would love to see that

There was a least one Killer Whale that came into PT Harbor during the early Seventies..... I saw it.   It was in the marina.   My dad jumped in with a mask and snorkel to swim with it....but fortunately for him it was a quick drive by.   :kook:

On 7/10/2019 at 11:31 AM, flylikabird said:

There was a least one Killer Whale that came into PT Harbor during the early Seventies..... I saw it.   It was in the marina.   My dad jumped in with a mask and snorkel to swim with it....but fortunately for him it was a quick drive by.   :kook:

Is there any record of an orca trying to eat a swimmer?

One of the Antarctic explorers, might've been Mawson, was supposedly chased by a pod of orcas along the rim of an ice shelf. They tried to tip him into the water. where presumably he'd've been lunch. That's the only thing I've seen that suggests an orca might like the odd human nibble. 

I remember seeing a video of either a guy fishing or doing something else in water up to his knees and a Killer Whale came in with the same tactic as grabbing a seal in the surf.   Sucked him down like a 7 Eleven Slurpee.   That video was available around five years ago I think.   I forget how I came across it but it left a notable impression in my mind surf casting or soaking baits at night on the South Side of the Cape for sharks & Striped Bass.  :eek:

56 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I remember seeing a video of either a guy fishing or doing something else in water up to his knees and a Killer Whale came in with the same tactic as grabbing a seal in the surf.   Sucked him down like a 7 Eleven Slurpee.   That video was available around five years ago I think.   I forget how I came across it but it left a notable impression in my mind surf casting or soaking baits at night on the South Side of the Cape for sharks & Striped Bass.  :eek:

Fake I think. Saw a video a few years back of a swimmer or possibly two in a cove.  Two orcas swim right around them and back out. 

It may or may not have been real but know this.....you don't think in the real world of predators that it isn't at all plausible?  C'mon!

"Saw a video a few years back of a swimmer or possibly two in a cove.  Two orcas swim right around them and back out."

And to your quote I say....Have you never had a fish of any kind follow your plug and not hit it.   A plug that has caught hundreds of that exact

species before?  C'mon!

200w_d.gif

Edited by flylikabird

Per Wikipedia, no wild orca has killed a human. One documented biting is recorded, from California. Captive orcas have killed a number of their trainers. I was surprised by the Wikipedia list; it was a lot longer than I had anticipated.