Orcas east of chatham

Rate this topic

Just saw a post on social media showing a stickboat ( supposedly east of Chatham ) riding along side an orca.

Its not unheard of for them to be down this way, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence either. I’ve been suspecting we would be seeing them eventually with all the food sources we have available.

Fancy catches fisherman, simple catches fish

38 mins ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Just saw a post on social media showing a stickboat ( supposedly east of Chatham ) riding along side an orca.

Its not unheard of for them to be down this way, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence either. I’ve been suspecting we would be seeing them eventually with all the food sources we have available.

There is one lone large Male that is seen with some regularity out that way from what I've read.  

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent

3 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Maybe they are feasting on GW livers. 

Hopefully not, don't the GW take off for the year after that happens to one of them.  Need something around to eat the seals, or maybe the Orcas will join in the all you can eat buffet

3 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Hopefully not, don't the GW take off for the year after that happens to one of them.  Need something around to eat the seals, or maybe the Orcas will join in the all you can eat buffet

YouTube what orcas do for fun with seals.  Vicious stuff. 

I didn't realize orcas roam solo. Super cool to hear of one again 

Edited by rbart

Not by the dolphins' choice, I suspect.

Orcas reproduce far more slowly than do GWs, but their metabolism is far faster too. It has to be so, as they're mammals. I would love to read of seal-munching orcas off Long Island, and you guys need them even more.  

Channel 4 had it on the news . What a spectacular site to see the Orca come out of the water as it cruises along with a pod of dolphin's at the same rate of speed . Killer Whales are by far one of the oceans most beautiful animals to observe especially to see how effortless they swim .  

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Orcas reproduce far more slowly than do GWs, but their metabolism is far faster too. It has to be so, as they're mammals. I would love to read of seal-munching orcas off Long Island, and you guys need them even more.  

Dolphin were having a fine time.

Edited by BrianBM
the link hadda go.

Embrace American Privilege

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Dolphin were having a fine time.

Edited by BrianBM
link to commercial site

Embrace American Privilege

OK, for some reason I can't delete the video, but it's from a commercial site ... not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Orcas eat dolphins.  

I wonder if the false killer whale (looks like an orca, but smaller) or belugas or even pilot whales ever eat seals?