Beachglass Guru

Alps seat on surf rod.... thoughts and experiences please

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Looking for a little feedback on the Alps Tri-RB (tri20rb-ft) reel seat for a surf rod build..

Picked up the new 10' BH striped bass special blank last week. I have always opted for the Fuji seats on my rods, but these rubberized Alps tri seats have had my attention for a while now. 

Looking to see is any of you fine folks have put one on a surf rod yet and what your thoughts on them are...

I have an Alps triangle seat on a surf fly rod and it works great for that. Holds the reel securely, no wobble. 

However, I don't know how comfortable it will be in your hands if you fish with the reel seat in your hands while working your lure. Sand gets in the threads of the seat and while you can easily wash it out with a spritz of water it's a slight annoyance. That's mostly an aluminum seat thing.

The biggest thing to consider will be how cold it will be in your hands. Aluminum is commonly used for heat sinks so if the seat is in your hands a lot a graphite one might be better as it won't suck the heat out of your hands. 

Another thing to think about is how easily will that rubberized coating come off the aluminum? I would be willing to bet it will wear off eventually, especially in high wear areas like the corners and edges of the seat. 

They look amazing, the double lock works great.  A bit bulky and cause some small blisters to form on my palm after jigging for hours over half a dozen trips.  The gap between the reel seat and rod is quite a large one, smoothed out yes but the 1/4 gap worked into my hands causing blisters.  I'd also like to mention its solid aluminum = no flex.  If you have a blank that will bend through your reel seat and into the bottom section, this rigid aluminum wont flex along with it, causing a stress point... ask me how I know.

20190604_072958.jpg