secampb1

berkshires

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

has anyone fished out in the berkshires recently?  I want to head out to the charlemont area but I'm 2 hours away and I don't want to be disappointed if the rivers are in rough shape.  I realize the deerfield is a tailwater but I like the cold river and I know that is usually low this time of year so I'm wondering if it is high or at least fishable? I was at the swift yesterday and that was a waste of time where I went.  Because of them letting water out from all the rain it was at least 2-3 feet higher than normal.

The high water re-positions where the fish hold and what they focus on for food.The fish are close to the banks and lookin for meat,pushes bigger fish out of deeper water and closer to the bank to avoid having to work so hard to hold in place.As long as it isn't brown from runoff you can still fish it,just have to change tactics to chuckin big streamers.

13 hours ago, slip n slide said:

The high water re-positions where the fish hold and what they focus on for food.The fish are close to the banks and lookin for meat,pushes bigger fish out of deeper water and closer to the bank to avoid having to work so hard to hold in place.As long as it isn't brown from runoff you can still fish it,just have to change tactics to chuckin big streamers.

i completely understand that you can still catch fish but the question is more whether the river is accessible.  If I can't wade it may make for a rough trip. 

You don't need to wade.The majority are near the bank,not out in the middle.Then again,there's always bankside brush,trees and debris that will hamper your efforts,esp when it's right down to the water.

15 hours ago, slip n slide said:

You don't need to wade.The majority are near the bank,not out in the middle.Then again,there's always bankside brush,trees and debris that will hamper your efforts,esp when it's right down to the water.

yeah, unfortunately that is the case with the cold in most places.  It is almost a slot canyon at parts and the other areas are very overgrown. Thanks