Mikeinri

saltist 15H for fluke reel or not?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I used this reel the other day on a charter.  It was combines with a crafty one custom rod. (Actually tried a couple of those rods and likes them both).   It was an awesome combo. The rod had great feel but a great backbone.  I will be buying this rod tomorrow and will be buying a reel as well.  I will spend up to about $325 or so on the high end for the reel.  I did like the saltist 15H a lot but would like this to be my all around boat rod for everything from cod and sea bass to strippers and fluke.   Felt like this was a very versatile set up but wondering if anyone else uses this reel and has any issues with bigger fish?  Should I be looking at another model?   One complaint would be no level wind.  And 2 times it jammed up from me not paying attention. I looked at their website and have a lot of options. Which model do you all recommend?

F940ACF4-3A4F-46D5-BDF6-4D5B3724A6E1.jpeg

5E6F8DDB-5F13-43CF-A4B8-5D35128D8CEE.jpeg

It's not a matter of the fish. The reel is adequate for any fish you might meet, of those specified. It's a matter of the fishing circumstance in which you look for fish. The reel might be a bit small for a deepwater cod trip, or a Nantucket Shoals trip where you might be dragging a pound of lead for fluke. For that usage, you'd probably want a bigger reel and a different rod. (I assume you were fishing with braided line, GSP of one kind or another.) 

There is one exception. Strippers, unlike striped bass, respond best to a waving green bill. For stripper trips, I recommend you leave the fishing tackle home.  :)

5 mins ago, BrianBM said:

It's not a matter of the fish. The reel is adequate for any fish you might meet, of those specified. It's a matter of the fishing circumstance in which you look for fish. The reel might be a bit small for a deepwater cod trip, or a Nantucket Shoals trip where you might be dragging a pound of lead for fluke. For that usage, you'd probably want a bigger reel and a different rod. (I assume you were fishing with braided line, GSP of one kind or another.) 

There is one exception. Strippers, unlike striped bass, respond best to a waving green bill. For stripper trips, I recommend you leave the fishing tackle home.  :)

Won’t really be my choice for stripers but just want to make sure adequate in case I hook one.  I caught about 6 species of fish on this setup and was great.  I was thinking I could reel in a 30lb with that no problem.  

I have a saltist 20H on a rod I built. It is a jigging world blank with similar ratings to that crafty one. I use it for deeper fluke, seabass, cod and some bass fishing. So far no complaints and the reel is still running smooth on its second season. 

I also bought a saltiga 10 around the same time which sees a lot more use and I prefer only slightly to the saltiga. Both are very sweet reels. 

Not sure if it matters for you but one of the sizes, I think 15, has a spool lock feature instead of a clicker. Its for breaking off when your snagged on wrecks. I didn't really like that feature so I avoided that size. 

GL, Chris

31 mins ago, ChrisO said:

I have a saltist 20H on a rod I built. It is a jigging world blank with similar ratings to that crafty one. I use it for deeper fluke, seabass, cod and some bass fishing. So far no complaints and the reel is still running smooth on its second season. 

I also bought a saltiga 10 around the same time which sees a lot more use and I prefer only slightly to the saltiga. Both are very sweet reels. 

Not sure if it matters for you but one of the sizes, I think 15, has a spool lock feature instead of a clicker. Its for breaking off when your snagged on wrecks. I didn't really like that feature so I avoided that size. 

GL, Chris

Spool lock is great for when you snag bottom. Puts the strain on the lock instead of the reels gears. 

1 hour ago, ChrisO said:

GL, Chris

It's the SASD15.  It's the low gear (5.1) model.  Has spool lock.

The SASD15H is the highspeed model.  Has no spool lock.

The low gear model is a dream for pulling up heavy lead and fish from deep.  It's the same size as the 10, but with thinner arbor, fitting more line.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

17lbs of drag and 500+ yard of 30lbs braid will easily handle everything common in the NE inshore and near shore. 

Edited by C.Robin

That Accurate Valiant looks like a very sweet lightweight reel. Ive also heard of guys using the Tranx 400 for everything you mentioned.

6 hours ago, Captain Planet said:

It's the SASD15.  It's the low gear (5.1) model.  Has spool lock.

The SASD15H is the highspeed model.  Has no spool lock.

The low gear model is a dream for pulling up heavy lead and fish from deep.  It's the same size as the 10, but with thinner arbor, fitting more line.  

The spool lock feature is only available on the 10 and 15 whether it's the  high or low gear model.  I currently own the 15H and it has the spool lock.  It's a beast of a reel and probably overkill for a lot of the bottom species I fish for in the Northeast.