SeaZen 21

Aircraft carrier off NJ coast today

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Anyone spot it? I saw it cruise by Long Branch around early afternoon. Have seen plenty of cruise ships, tankers, container ships, etc pass my window but never an aircraft carrier. Cool to see. 

3 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Anyone spot it? I saw it cruise by Long Branch around early afternoon. Have seen plenty of cruise ships, tankers, container ships, etc pass my window but never an aircraft carrier. Cool to see. 

It was at Earle this week arming.  As far as I know that’s just an “amphibious assault” ship, not quite the size as one of our giant air craft carriers.

My favorite thing about that class of ship is many carry historic American Navy names, like Wasp, Essex, Bonhomme Richard, and famous Marine Corp battles like Tarawa and Iwo Jima. Screw naming our capital ships for presidents! (I give GHWB a pass, he actually was a naval combat aviator)

I saw one while cod fishing a few years ago as it crossed Cape Cod Bay towards some event in Boston.  They now carry the F35 variant that can take off vertically.

6 hours ago, ferret said:

same boat, June of last year. 

Seems to have a different number, this one I believe is the Kearsarge, LHD-3. It was named for a Civil War Union Sloop-of-War famous for a single ship battle with the CSS Alabama. I love that history. 

450px-USS_Kearsarge_(1861).jpg

7 hours ago, ferret said:

same boat, June of last year. that handsome devil is Sudsy

20180608_074756.jpg.19c6e9139d52015a679938dc63d0238d.jpg

Never heard of the USS Sudsy.

And who's that ugly mug in the foreground?

18 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Just looked up that class. I see they carry planes as well. 

My brother was a senior chief (ret94) aboard the USS Nassau. They have a company or so of Marines and  an attack helo' squadron, Sea Cobras? at that time. She also carried 6 or so Harriers then

18 hours ago, bbfish said:

It was at Earle this week arming.  As far as I know that’s just an “” ship, not quite the size as one of our giant air craft carriers.

Still nerding out on this rather than working,  FWIW these amphibious assault ships are still quite a bit bigger than the WW2 Essex class carriers like the Intrepid, 40k tons to 27k. Nothing to sneeze at, but not the enormity of a Nimitz class 100k tons.