jalthoff

Chatham

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Had a great outing yesterday down in Chatham.  Found a hole where the schoolies and shad were congregating at low tide and ended up with 30+ schoolies from 12" to 26" plus 4 shad.  I was literally the only person fishing here - did not have another person fishing within 300 yards of me.  Had to get home, so left only an hour into the rise or I probably would have caught a ton more.  15 on 20 casts at one stretch.  Only regret was not having a 6 or 7 weight with me, most of them were small enough not even to put a bend in the 9 weight!

Walking back I saw tons of people fishing, all in the wrong places, and on the wrong pattern (blind casting barren water).  I kept my mouth shut, of course. But then before I left the beach I saw some teenagers with their fly rods heading out, and when they asked how I did I told them how and told them exactly where to go.  Have to encourage the next generation!

IMG_5365.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

IMG_5371.mov

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have there been any larger (32+”) fish there the past few years? I’ve only fished Brewster/Barnstable when I’ve been up there recently.

Edited by triumph19

1 hour ago, triumph19 said:

Have there been any larger (32+”) fish there the past few years? I’ve only fished Brewster/Barnstable when I’ve been up there recently.

I did not make it down last year (work killed most of my summer fishing in '18), but I saw plenty and caught a few that size and larger in each of the preceding few years there.  My experience is that they are more plentiful later in June in Chatham, but honestly I don't get enough consistent fishing there to really know.

2 hours ago, triumph19 said:

Thx, I may have to check it out again after a 20 yr hiatus!

Well it's not what it was 20 years ago, when you could go out to Monomoy and cast at pigs all day June - August, but it does not suck either!

Awesome! I"ll have to make it up that way soon, been putting time in on the brewster flats with on and off days. Havent gotten into big pods of fishing holding in one location though!

27 mins ago, skucia198 said:

Awesome! I"ll have to make it up that way soon, been putting time in on the brewster flats with on and off days. Havent gotten into big pods of fishing holding in one location though!

Yea, it's a pattern I figured out 2 summers ago.  It goes against almost every rule, but when it happens it's awesome!  The shad were an extra bonus!

11 hours ago, triumph19 said:

Thx, I may have to check it out again after a 20 yr hiatus!

I started going there 10 yrs ago.I did not go this year.

The fishing is in a serious decline....unless you think fishing for small fish is "fun".

Wishing for a 6wt to make it "more fun" is a sad state of affairs and an even sadder statement about the fishery.

For some folks that's all they know for fishing for stripers;a bunch of short fish.Lemme tell ya,that aint how it's s'posed to be.We should be able to be catching adults,keeper sized+,not just their children.

Catching 10,15,20+ fish/day over 28" used to be "normal" for fishing stripers.No,we didn't catch every day and there were always some skunk or short days,but the current state of affairs is just pitiful to say the least.

Posted (edited) · Report post

We all missed you this year S’n’S. Dave says hi.

Theres a bunch of us here all fishing  hard for over a week and only 2 keepers to show for it. Fished outer beaches, all over bayside and south side and even the canal.  Fishing day and nights.

We know some lure boys who fish hard who have had some good fish in the canal and other spots at night but the numbers are way down too. Like us these guys Have been coming here for years. 

The best day was yesterday sight fishing monomoy which is full of fish. These are 20-24 inch fish mainly with a few bigger ones but very few keepers seen. But sight caught fish are always good value.

we go back in another 6 days so hopefully the bigger fish will rock up.

Most of us are saying we will skip the cape next year until it improves. I’m hoping the lack of fish is not due to a stock crash. But I heard that the commercials didn’t reach their quota last year so they extended it. They still didn’t fill it so they added the remaining quota from last year to this years quota. 

With fisheries management like this the writing is on the wall. And it’s not like it hasn’t happened in the past so someone somewhere needs sacking. It will be a case of follow the money I guess... sad.

Edited by JRT

Agreed! The sad thing is the cape flats fishery is still better than LI’s pretty much declining to nonexistent one for the past 10 years. Seems to be a good amount of very large fish in deeper water and lots of small to micros around.

The thing I don’t understand is where are the 2011’s?! Those fish from that purported hugely successful spawn should be 31-32”!! 

2 hours ago, JRT said:

We all missed you this year S’n’S. Dave says hi.

Theres a bunch of us here all fishing  hard for over a week and only 2 keepers to show for it. Fished outer beaches, all over bayside and south side and even the canal.  Fishing day and nights.

We know some lure boys who fish hard who have had some good fish in the canal and other spots at night but the numbers are way down too. Like us these guys Have been coming here for years. 

The best day was yesterday sight fishing monomoy which is full of fish. These are 20-24 inch fish mainly with a few bigger ones but very few keepers seen. But sight caught fish are always good value.

we go back in another 6 days so hopefully the bigger fish will rock up.

Most of us are saying we will skip the cape next year until it improves. I’m hoping the lack of fish is not due to a stock crash. But I heard that the commercials didn’t reach their quota last year so they extended it. They still didn’t fill it so they added the remaining quota from last year to this years quota. 

With fisheries management like this the writing is on the wall. And it’s not like it hasn’t happened in the past so someone somewhere needs sacking. It will be a case of follow the money I guess... sad.

You guys watched it happen in GB and now it's happening here.Some lessons will never be learned.

The stocks are in terrible shape.They need to put a moratorium on keeping or it will be the end of it all.

11 hours ago, slip n slide said:

I started going there 10 yrs ago.I did not go this year.

The fishing is in a serious decline....unless you think fishing for small fish is "fun".

Wishing for a 6wt to make it "more fun" is a sad state of affairs and an even sadder statement about the fishery.

For some folks that's all they know for fishing for stripers;a bunch of short fish.Lemme tell ya,that aint how it's s'posed to be.We should be able to be catching adults,keeper sized+,not just their children.

Catching 10,15,20+ fish/day over 28" used to be "normal" for fishing stripers.No,we didn't catch every day and there were always some skunk or short days,but the current state of affairs is just pitiful to say the least.

Could not agree more - fishing Monomoy 20 years ago produced some of my most epic days of fishing ever, and my biggest Striper (42") ever.  It's not the same, has not been for years. 

In terms of whether fishing for small fish is "fun" I guess right now it's either fish for small fish (and hope to find one big one) or don't fish.  I don't get enough days on the water to be picky, and if I'm going to drive 90 minutes to fish I'd still rather have a day like that in Chatham than fight with 25 people at the Swift.

The bigger point about the decline of the fishery is 100% correct, as has been pointed out on this board and elsewhere for years.  We went through this cycle once before, and it was a 36" keeper limit that helped (among other things) to turn the tide.  

I actually took my six wt out on a bayside flat the only day we had flat calm and caught breaking fish that I could cast to in the 20-24” category, the six made it more fun,  but the idea that a six was the appropriate tackle is depressing.

jC