sethATC

airing down 80psi tires 2000 excursion

19 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, sethATC said:

Whoa thats a hell of a setup. Im not sure im able to install all that just yet, ill keep it in mind though for sure. Any thoughts on a portable viair air compressor? 

Seth:

I will quote myself from a prior thread asking pretty much the same question:

The onboard setup I have is 2 VIAIR 325C compressors and a 2 1/2 gallon tank.  VIAiR now sells this as their Super Duty OBA system - only difference is it has a 2 gallon tank. My system simultaneously fills all 4 tires on my 2016 4-Runner from 15psi (aired down) to 32psi in 4+ minutes.  Noting that these are 33% Duty Cycle compressors, I have used this installation to fill my Fishing Buddy's really wide tires on his lifted Dodge Super Cab pickup from 15psi to 50psi, ONE tire at a time, without tripping the built in thermal overload on the compressors.  I did, however, allow the compressors to refill the tank (to 109psi) between tires and rest for 1-2 minutes. 

For your application I would definitely recommend the 450P (100% duty cycle) or, at a minimum the 440P (33% duty cycle, 37 inch tire 0-30psi in 5 minutes rating) as the 300P is only rated for 33 inch tires and a 33% Duty Cycle.

33% Duty Cycle = 15 minutes on, 30 minutes rest

100% duty cycle = 40 minutes on before cool-down required.

I strongly suggest you look at the detailed performance tables on the VIAIR site before selecting your equipment, as 15 psi re-inflated to 70 psi is a 55 psi change that puts a lot of heat into the compressor.

Additional note:

I do not recommend clamping to the battery posts for an extended period of time, as long draws of High amperage can damage the post installation into the battery itself (think lead solder).  I recommend use of the pictured cables below, with a sealed 80 amp relay between the external plug and the battery, switched by a low voltage switch in the vehicle (prevents "accidental" shorting of the battery by mischievous kids)

JC002.jpg

9 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Seth:

I will quote myself from a prior thread asking pretty much the same question:

The onboard setup I have is 2 VIAIR 325C compressors and a 2 1/2 gallon tank.  VIAiR now sells this as their Super Duty OBA system - only difference is it has a 2 gallon tank. My system simultaneously fills all 4 tires on my 2016 4-Runner from 15psi (aired down) to 32psi in 4+ minutes.  Noting that these are 33% Duty Cycle compressors, I have used this installation to fill my Fishing Buddy's really wide tires on his lifted Dodge Super Cab pickup from 15psi to 50psi, ONE tire at a time, without tripping the built in thermal overload on the compressors.  I did, however, allow the compressors to refill the tank (to 109psi) between tires and rest for 1-2 minutes. 

For your application I would definitely recommend the 450P (100% duty cycle) or, at a minimum the 440P (33% duty cycle, 37 inch tire 0-30psi in 5 minutes rating) as the 300P is only rated for 33 inch tires and a 33% Duty Cycle.

33% Duty Cycle = 15 minutes on, 30 minutes rest

100% duty cycle = 40 minutes on before cool-down required.

I strongly suggest you look at the detailed performance tables on the VIAIR site before selecting your equipment, as 15 psi re-inflated to 70 psi is a 55 psi change that puts a lot of heat into the compressor.

Additional note:

I do not recommend clamping to the battery posts for an extended period of time, as long draws of High amperage can damage the post installation into the battery itself (think lead solder).  I recommend use of the pictured cables below, with a sealed 80 amp relay between the external plug and the battery, switched by a low voltage switch in the vehicle (prevents "accidental" shorting of the battery by mischievous kids)

JC002.jpg

damn, so many decisions to make regarding this.  i wish I understood electrical/mechanical stuff more. would really help guide my decision making on this topic. thanks boss.