sethATC

airing down 80psi tires 2000 excursion

19 posts in this topic

Regarding airing down, would I still need to air down to 15-20 psi or could I air down to a higher psi? I have a 2000 Ford Excusion 10 cylinder gas.  this may be a stupid question for the experienced beach buggy people here lol. 

Can't remember what I aired my down to but I did take them down.   The vehicle is a beast and weighs a LOT.  I think I used to take them down to 20 and then drop them from there dependent upon beach characteristics.  IIRC, I don't think I ever went below 15...??  

If your hauling or towing the rated maximum for the vehicle, you do not need 80 psi for vehicle weight alone.

I keep my 2500 utility body at 50 psi.

Much softer ride and faster air downs/ups.

When I have a heavy load to haul or tow, I up the psi. Besides driving around at 80 psi will bounce your beer flat in no time.

5 hours ago, sethATC said:

Regarding airing down, would I still need to air down to 15-20 psi or could I air down to a higher psi? I have a 2000 Ford Excusion 10 cylinder gas.  this may be a stupid question for the experienced beach buggy people here lol. 

I heard the way to figure the pounds to air down to is to measure the height of the rim from the pavement, and air down until the rim is 75% of that.

For instance, if the rim height at normal tire pressure is 4" off the pavement, air down until the rim is 3", and measure the air pressure. That is your air down air pressure. It will be different for each vehicle/tire combo.

Of course gear and fuel load should be similar to what you are going on the beach with.

4 hours ago, JimP said:

Can't remember what I aired my down to but I did take them down.   The vehicle is a beast and weighs a LOT.  I think I used to take them down to 20 and then drop them from there dependent upon beach characteristics.  IIRC, I don't think I ever went below 15...??  

great thanks a lot Jim

4 hours ago, shark lobster said:

My f250 is the same 75/80 psi you need to air down to 18 psi get some deflaters it takes awhile

yeah im definately getting deflators, thanks for the info shark

1 hour ago, Jimichanga said:

If your hauling or towing the rated maximum for the vehicle, you do not need 80 psi for vehicle weight alone.

I keep my 2500 utility body at 50 psi.

Much softer ride and faster air downs/ups.

When I have a heavy load to haul or tow, I up the psi. Besides driving around at 80 psi will bounce your beer flat in no time.

is there a negative to filling them up? i usually drive at 70psi. 

10 mins ago, dena said:

I heard the way to figure the pounds to air down to is to measure the height of the rim from the pavement, and air down until the rim is 75% of that.

For instance, if the rim height at normal tire pressure is 4" off the pavement, air down until the rim is 3", and measure the air pressure. That is your air down air pressure. It will be different for each vehicle/tire combo.

Of course gear and fuel load should be similar to what you are going on the beach with.

very technical, i didnt know that rule of thumb regarding rim height from the pavement. thanks for the info dena. 

I too run a F250 that specifies 65 and 80 psi. Moreover, this is my 2nd F250. I air down to 20 and have yet had to go lower. Deflators are a necessity. 

22 hours ago, sethATC said:

I used to take mine (2000, 7.3 Powerstroke) down to 20, she floated over the sand, never got stuck once.

The most important thing is to find a place where you can get free air for after. At $1 for 2 minutes you can go broke trying to get 4 tires to 80 again.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I used to take mine (2000, 7.3 Powerstroke) down to 20, she floated over the sand, never got stuck once.

The most important thing is to find a place where you can get free air for after. At $1 for 2 minutes you can go broke trying to get 4 tires to 80 again.

I would pretty much be driving IBSP exclusively, never used the air stations at the park. Are They any good? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, sethATC said:

I would pretty much be driving IBSP exclusively, never used the air stations at the park. Are They any good? 

There are 150PSI Air stations at Area 7 and the Administration Building between the two swimming areas.  Ultimately, I ended up going with onboard air on my 2004 4-Runner because I often fish the Jetty Pocket and the inlet, especially at night, and did not like the idea of either running down the road deflated or driving the beach all the way down to A7.  Also, at least prior to 2005, when fishing really late in the season, sometimes the air would be shut off by the park due to water freezing in the lines.

0818161308b.jpg

0818161309.jpg

0818161310.jpg

0818161402.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

15 hours ago, FlatWing said:

There are 150PSI Air stations at Area 7 and the Administration Building between the two swimming areas.  Ultimately, I ended up going with onboard air on my 2004 4-Runner because I often fish the Jetty Pocket and the inlet, especially at night, and did not like the idea of either running down the road deflated or driving the beach all the way down to A7.  Also, at least prior to 2005, when fishing really late in the season, sometimes the air would be shut off by the park due to water freezing in the lines.

0818161308b.jpg

0818161309.jpg

0818161310.jpg

0818161402.jpg

Whoa thats a hell of a setup. Im not sure im able to install all that just yet, ill keep it in mind though for sure. Any thoughts on a portable viair air compressor? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mine has CTIS. Central Tire Inflation System.

Air up or down on the fly using the engine driven air compressor.

Subtle brag post.

TRUCK SIDE2.jpg

Edited by Too Close
sp