Bigred78

Sharks in Nj Bays

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Ive caught lots of little sandbar sharks while fluking in the bay. They always maxed out at round three feet. Has anyone caught or seen bigger in the bay. Like in the 6 to 8 foot range.

Two years ago, OC central bay in my 18ft boat saw large 7-8ft  shark.  As fast as it appeared....(4-5 seconds) it was gone . Also stopped jumping off the boat, for a quick swim ! 

21 hours ago, Bigred78 said:

Ive caught lots of little sandbar sharks while fluking in the bay. They always maxed out at round three feet. Has anyone caught or seen bigger in the bay. Like in the 6 to 8 foot range.

Yes, there are plenty of big sharks in our bays. Barnegat is a nursery for sharks, and there are plenty of brown sharks in Raritan bay as well. You'd be surprised the species of sharks that swim our bays well into October.

like 10 years ago crabbing off my dad's boat not far from the mantoloking bridge (with my feet dangling in the water) we had a huge shark swim right by the back of the boat...it happened so fast I don't know what kind of shark but it was big at least 6 ft. so yeah they're in there.

If anyone saw the sharks that are caught in the Intercoastal in Great Bay at night in July, no one would go in the water.

3 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

If anyone saw the sharks that are caught in the Intercoastal in Great Bay at night in July, no one would go in the water.

We had a pretty big one circling the boat while fluking the stink house on opening day a couple years ago.  

Mary lee ( a 50 year old 2500lb great white ) apparently swam through the  from Little Egg Inlet, through the Barnegat Bay  right under the bridge, then exiting the Barnegat Light Inlet in 2015. Of course I can’t confirm based on sighting but her gps pings. Idk how accurate the ping is but I imagine it’s decently accurate.  Her last ping was in 2017 off of Beach Haven LBI.  Her tag battery died and she hasn’t been heard from since but is suspected to be alive and well. 

1B058734-733F-441F-BE42-15782A5D9EFC.png

15 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Amen to that!

I am guessing about 15 years ago, Al Ristori wrote in his column about some Great Whites being caught in the pound nets off Officers Row in Sandy Hook bay over the years. 

When I had a boat at Bahrs Landing, a clammer came back and told everyone he saw a sizable shark entering the Shrewsbury at the trailer park. Someone else confirmed a shark sighting by Hartshorne woods,,,, this was about 2006.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:06 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

I've been curious about sharks in nj bays since i discovered a couple years ago that some of the 1916 shark attacks were WEST of The Parkway

Matawan Creek. About a mile from where I live now.