McNizzles

Lake Trout

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for any general, focused, speculative, or secret tips for lakers.

Heading up to the adirondacks next weekend and fishing a friendly tourney. We will be at a small lake/pond, 90foot max depth. Went out once caught one jigging a spoon after marking bait, good tactic to stick with? 

Is it worth it to drop a jig with a shiner on it to the depths? 

My setup is 8 pound braid and about 3 foot 12 pound flouro. Necessary to go lighter? 

Just making sure I'm not missing any solid tactic, and I can't justify purchasing trolling gear, that's boring anyways. Thanks! 

On 6/9/2019 at 0:16 AM, McNizzles said:

Just making sure I'm not missing any solid tactic, and I can't justify purchasing trolling gear, that's boring anyways. Thanks! 

Get some Keitech easy shiner/shad impacts (or any soft plastic baitfish imitation but they do love the squid oil Keitechs come in), see fish on graph, drop it on their head.

1/4 - 1oz jigheads depending on wind/depth. Try long sweeps and drops, as well as burning it back to the surface...if the fish aren't aggressive, you can deadstick on bottom with light twitches, or hold it in place over suspended fish. 

Generally, they seem to want to chase up...

Had zero luck,  intense wind. Friend who won was livelining perch... only bites. I started deadsticking a perch and I thought they would wallop it, but they mouth and tap the bait so many times I thought it was bluegills. I don't think I'll ever figure it out, tough fish. 

I mainly fished savage sandeels and trolled a savage gear deep diving crank. 

Next year I guess

16 hours ago, McNizzles said:

Had zero luck,  intense wind. Friend who won was livelining perch... only bites. I started deadsticking a perch and I thought they would wallop it, but they mouth and tap the bait so many times I thought it was bluegills. I don't think I'll ever figure it out, tough fish. 

I mainly fished savage sandeels and trolled a savage gear deep diving crank. 

Next year I guess

Ya have to let them chew on it , our hook up ratio went way up once we started hooking the baits in the back ... about 1/3 away from the tail.