SIC34

No BS, no spots

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Honest question here. Is there really any hope for a surf fisherman who can get out at best twice a month for bass? The sharps talk about going out and scouting, and being very selective on outings. For guys like me, should I even bother? I've had luck fluking but have not been very successful going for stripers and it almost seems like a waste. Maybe I should just chunk bait given my situation. I drove many miles and tried many spots one day and still couldn't buy a bite last fall. I think the only time I had some luck was with some cocktail blues. 

you can only get out twice a month and expect to catch each time? every other time? I would say find places to fish closer to home OR be very patient with yourself.  twice/month is not a lot of time.  sure it's fine for someone that has been at it a long time or had the luxury of devoting a few nights/week for a couple seasons to learn things.  but if you are trying to learn and can only fish twice/month , i don't think that is enough time to learn well enough to be consistent and develop your own "spots" .  

Last couple years with family and work i only get a couple days/month to fish for stripers. i fish regularly in FW because it's easier for me.   i rarely skunk when striper fishing, but before the family came along i was putting in serious time and learning things from some of the best fishermen i have met. 

Of course they are fish and there are no absolutes so you will occasionally catch some fish and you should be proud of those, but don't expect to be able to replicate that success every time out. there just aren't enough fish around anymore for them to be in all the decent spots all the time like they used to be.  and learning how to consistently catch fish when there aren't many around is tough. 

Y- But it was a bit of a drive from my home grounds and south of me! Where they still have jetties similar to what I cut my teeth on. It was worth the drive and loss of sleep during the week.. Not a place to fish on wkends

1 hour ago, BrianZ said:

you can only get out twice a month and expect to catch each time? every other time? I would say find places to fish closer to home OR be very patient with yourself.  twice/month is not a lot of time.  sure it's fine for someone that has been at it a long time or had the luxury of devoting a few nights/week for a couple seasons to learn things.  but if you are trying to learn and can only fish twice/month , i don't think that is enough time to learn well enough to be consistent and develop your own "spots" .  

Last couple years with family and work i only get a couple days/month to fish for stripers. i fish regularly in FW because it's easier for me.   i rarely skunk when striper fishing, but before the family came along i was putting in serious time and learning things from some of the best fishermen i have met. 

Of course they are fish and there are no absolutes so you will occasionally catch some fish and you should be proud of those, but don't expect to be able to replicate that success every time out. there just aren't enough fish around anymore for them to be in all the decent spots all the time like they used to be.  and learning how to consistently catch fish when there aren't many around is tough. 

I live inland. Which leaves weekends basically, weather permitting and assuming I don't have other stuff going on. Occasionally I'll day a day off during week to go. It just is what it is.

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

Do yourself a favor and ditch the wagon and all the rods (im assuming you have multiple from you wagon description), you really only need one.  It may not seem very logical at first but fishing more than one rod isn't going to catch you more fish (I can all but guarantee it); just focus on one strategy at a time, be it plugging or bait fishing.  If you're plugging and and coming up blank but have a ton of bait like bunker in front of you, you can always bring a snag hook/a couple weights/hooks (they really dont take up much space) and make a fishfinder or knocker rig on the spot.  Most serious chunking guys aren't putting their rod in a sand spike, theres a reason for that, its always in their hands so you can feel subtle pick ups.  The amount of fish that can pick up a bunker chunk and spit it within a couple seconds is pretty surprising, and when youre standing a few feet away from your rod(s), youre gonna be **** out of luck.  And if youre fishing J hooks, if the fish still has the bait there's a decent chance that hook is down its gullet.

All that being said, there's still tons of fish around to be caught despite declining conditions.  I suggest going to one or two likely spots and learn them cold, try to fish every tide condition you can.  At each spot focus on areas where there is something different than the surrounding waters: Drop offs, rocks, flats, rips, current breaks, pilings.  Just something where a predator can set up an ambush, these are the most likely spots.   Once you figure out when/why fish are chewing at that one location it is easier to apply elsewhere.

Great advice. I guess I bring both in case something happens to one or if I feel like switching from plugging to chunking. I bring a cooler because I usually want to bring one home, so that's in the wagon too. It's really not a good idea what I'm doing unless I'm going to sit there and chunk, which isn't my favorite way to fish by any stretch. If I want to plug, I need to just be mobile. Catching fish on a lure is always more fun than bait.

3 hours ago, RRD said:

Can you elaborate on what a prime tide and moon means?    

Thank you

Tide depends on what spot I am fishing. Typically on the bay (unless I intend to wade deep) I prefer to fish around the higher ends of the tide. As far as moon goes typically fishing around the new moon has treated me well. That is not to say that the full moon will not have fish, as a matter fact this April full moon treated me very well 

37 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I live inland. Which leaves weekends basically, weather permitting and assuming I don't have other stuff going on. Occasionally I'll day a day off during week to go. It just is what it is.

same here, i am 80 miles to the hook. with the few days a year that i am able to hit the surf i choose to fish nights. i avoid weekend days and days in general. I usually wait until october in the fall to start trying to plan for one/week mostly because the nights are longer and i can start shortly after work ends and finish up around midnight depending on the bite. planning for one/week usually means two nights/ month because of conditions. 

i lose some sleep but it's worth it usually. 

Y

One of the better springs for me. Not technically a PB but a PB from shore. Didn't even measure but I know it was bigger than any bass I ever caught from shore. Got into the big blues too. All fun.