SIC34

No BS, no spots

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2019 at 11:24 PM, SIC34 said:

I fished with a few guys and decided to get to a few spots early and often and take our lumps because we knew eventually we would strike gold. Well we did, and we did. The report thread has been abysmal. I bowed out a month ago because I caught a bacterial infection, probably from a fishing cut ...then I we went back out and hit more good bass this week. For me thid spring has been glorious. Up until my last trip this Wednesday. I know a lot of the old guys dont report anymore but I'm sure they still visit. Anybody else get into big bass this spring? No spots,  just a Y or  N works.

what kind of numbers are you talking about how many 20#, 30# and 40# fish?  One man's gold is another man's garbage.

1 hour ago, ferret said:

what kind of numbers are you talking about how many 20#, 30# and 40# fish?  One man's gold is another man's garbage.

I hear ya, that's why i asked the question... wasn't seeing much consistent catching in any reports. 1 40# close to 40 fish between 20-35 #'s.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Still plenty of fish around right now. ;)  Get back on the hunt.

Yeah, I know..picking my times and tides accordingly. :th:

23 mins ago, SIC34 said:

I hear ya, that's why i asked the question... wasn't seeing much consistent catching in any reports. 1 40# close to 40 fish between 20-35 #'s.

those are great numbers considering the fishery.  I boat fish, so I won't compare.  lemme say this, that other website with all the six pack and party reports, many of those captains are saying this was the best prespawn spring bass fishing in forever. and unfortunately,  they were not exaggerating.  those reports were accompanied by picture of slaughtered fish.  sorry bring a downer on your thread.

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Still plenty of fish around right now. ;)  Get back on the hunt.

This. Can’t say that I am fishing quantity in terms of big bass, but there’s definitely a possibility of a big one or 2 mixed in each trip. This morning my buddy and I were on a steady pic of 25” bass and my buddy landed a fat 36”, I assume it was a little under 20lbs. Not by any means saying that is a trophy or even big, but quality fish are still around. Anyways my 2cents.

14 mins ago, Matt Szwagulinski said:

This. Can’t say that I am fishing quantity in terms of big bass, but there’s definitely a possibility of a big one or 2 mixed in each trip. This morning my buddy and I were on a steady pic of 25” bass and my buddy landed a fat 36”, I assume it was a little under 20lbs. Not by any means saying that is a trophy or even big, but quality fish are still around. Anyways my 2cents.

I'd be more than happy with a few 36" sprinkled in at this point.  It seems like the big blues have spread out allowing the bass to feed a bit again.

18 mins ago, SIC34 said:

I'd be more than happy with a few 36" sprinkled in at this point.  It seems like the big blues have spread out allowing the bass to feed a bit again.

Absolutely. A fish of that size feels amazing when 95% of the bass are schoolies. And yes I agree, at least personally I haven’t been catching too many big blues. A lot of smaller ones mixed in though. 

Honest question here. Is there really any hope for a surf fisherman who can get out at best twice a month for bass? The sharps talk about going out and scouting, and being very selective on outings. For guys like me, should I even bother? I've had luck fluking but have not been very successful going for stripers and it almost seems like a waste. Maybe I should just chunk bait given my situation. I drove many miles and tried many spots one day and still couldn't buy a bite last fall. I think the only time I had some luck was with some cocktail blues. 

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Honest question here. Is there really any hope for a surf fisherman who can get out at best twice a month for bass? The sharps talk about going out and scouting, and being very selective on outings. For guys like me, should I even bother? I've had luck fluking but have not been very successful going for stripers and it almost seems like a waste. Maybe I should just chunk bait given my situation. I drove many miles and tried many spots one day and still couldn't buy a bite last fall. I think the only time I had some luck was with some cocktail blues. 

Yeah of course there's hope. It's no doubt easier to stay on a bite if your fishing 4 or 5 days a week and have quick access to the beach. Try to have a plan and a nearby back up plan. Most of my outings are based on preferable tides and moons (rarely fish during daylight), my next consideration for spots is the weather/wind direction and how it will impact that location. I TRY to avoid dirty water/fishing after heavy rains although that wasn't always possible this spring. 

When a pattern develops fish could be feeding at a certain time in the tide as the conditions change.  Sometimes bait consistently move to certain spots when the sun sets and continue to do it on a regular basis. Lots of variables that are part of the puzzle that becomes clearer with more time spent on the beach. Good luck.

9 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

My plan, at least during the spring, would be to travel until I find some bunker. Despite fishing 2-3 times a week I found myself doing that quit often. This spirng if I could find the bunker, I knew I would more than likely eventually find fish. I guess another tip would be to fish prime tides and moons and to not be scared to move spots during a trip. Many times a Move of a few miles down the shoreline this spring was a game changer. 

10 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Yeah of course there's hope. It's no doubt easier to stay on a bite if your fishing 4 or 5 days a week and have quick access to the beach. Try to have a plan and a nearby back up plan. Most of my outings are based on preferable tides and moons (rarely fish during daylight), my next consideration for spots is the weather/wind direction and how it will impact that location. I TRY to avoid dirty water/fishing after heavy rains although that wasn't always possible this spring. 

When a pattern develops fish could be feeding at a certain time in the tide as the conditions change.  Sometimes bait consistently move to certain spots when the sun sets and continue to do it on a regular basis. Lots of variables that are part of the puzzle that becomes clearer with more time spent on the beach. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say the days I got our were ideal to be fair to myself I guess. I do try to get out before sunup or in late afternoon into the evening for any kind of fishing, as I've always found it to be better than mid day. 

I should equip myself with a more mobile setup too so that I don't fear moving. I usually bring a wagon with rod holders on it that fits all my tackle, but it ends up making me reluctant to leave since I have to fold everything in half and take all my rods apart and carefully arrange them in my car to fit. 

42 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say the days I got our were ideal to be fair to myself I guess. I do try to get out before sunup or in late afternoon into the evening for any kind of fishing, as I've always found it to be better than mid day. 

I should equip myself with a more mobile setup too so that I don't fear moving. I usually bring a wagon with rod holders on it that fits all my tackle, but it ends up making me reluctant to leave since I have to fold everything in half and take all my rods apart and carefully arrange them in my car to fit. 

No need for a wagon full of gear. Thats overkill. During a certain part of the spring I will equip myself to have my choice of either plugging OR chunking.

I have the side pockets of my plug bag stuffed with lead. My bait fishing rigs are in ziplock bags in my jackets. My bunker is fresh caught where i am or I will throw them in a cooler on ice. If I need to make a long walk I can toss the bunker and some frozen water bottles in a plastic bag. My dive knife can double as a bait knife.

5 hours ago, Matt Szwagulinski said:

My plan, at least during the spring, would be to travel until I find some bunker. Despite fishing 2-3 times a week I found myself doing that quit often. This spirng if I could find the bunker, I knew I would more than likely eventually find fish. I guess another tip would be to fish prime tides and moons and to not be scared to move spots during a trip. Many times a Move of a few miles down the shoreline this spring was a game changer. 

Can you elaborate on what a prime tide and moon means?    

Thank you

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Do yourself a favor and ditch the wagon and all the rods (im assuming you have multiple from you wagon description), you really only need one.  It may not seem very logical at first but fishing more than one rod isn't going to catch you more fish (I can all but guarantee it); just focus on one strategy at a time, be it plugging or bait fishing.  If you're plugging and and coming up blank but have a ton of bait like bunker in front of you, you can always bring a snag hook/a couple weights/hooks (they really dont take up much space) and make a fishfinder or knocker rig on the spot.  Most serious chunking guys aren't putting their rod in a sand spike, theres a reason for that, its always in their hands so you can feel subtle pick ups.  The amount of fish that can pick up a bunker chunk and spit it within a couple seconds is pretty surprising, and when youre standing a few feet away from your rod(s), youre gonna be **** out of luck.  And if youre fishing J hooks, if the fish still has the bait there's a decent chance that hook is down its gullet.

All that being said, there's still tons of fish around to be caught despite declining conditions.  I suggest going to one or two likely spots and learn them cold, try to fish every tide condition you can.  At each spot focus on areas where there is something different than the surrounding waters: Drop offs, rocks, flats, rips, current breaks, pilings.  Just something where a predator can set up an ambush, these are the most likely spots.   Once you figure out when/why fish are chewing at that one location it is easier to apply elsewhere.

Edited by bbfish