Crazy how much tackle has improved over the last 10 years

Rate this topic

Mikeinri

Considering what is awailable, from parts to machines, not so much.

Because those that are making the tackle always search for a way to make it lighter, cheaper, newer, for marketing purposes. And as fast on the market as possible.

In fact, they are going backwards.

Edited by glos

Besides instant anti reverse and braided lines, innovation has gone at a snail's pace for fishing in my mind. Think of the advancements in computers and electronics... better smaller, cheaper happens in months or days not years or decades. 

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

8 hours ago, ermghoti said:

The cheap to mediocre stuff is phenomenal by comparison to 20-30 years back. You can still get disposable crap if you try hard enough, but you can also get a serviceable surf rig for around $100-$150 or so.

I could not have said it any better. Lower end gear has improved by leaps and bounds.  

12 hours ago, redfin said:

There have certainly be advancements. I think  braided line has done more to the industry than any other single fishing component. These lines pushed the reel, lure  and rod industries much further.

Well said:)

I don't think fishing gear needs to improve at all I think where we are now is where we are going to stay for a long time. Doubt anyone needs anything improved drastically. Unless someone makes 200 LB test line that is as thin as 2 LB mono I think we are all good for now.

I could not come up with anything so...

Id have to say braid changed everything. Reels could be smaller and hold more line. Second would be change in drag matetials. Now we have reels with 30lbs of drag that fit in the palm of your hand .

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

1 min ago, Fishing-Addict said:

I don't think fishing gear needs to improve at all I think where we are now is where we are going to stay for a long time. Doubt anyone needs anything improved drastically. Unless someone makes 200 LB test line that is as thin as 2 LB mono I think we are all good for now.

I have 40 year old items I still use.The advancement in hooks,line,scented lures and many other items have changed fishing a lot in the last 20 years.I will guess if your still fishing 30 years from now you won't want to fish with all the same gear you do now.

Sadly, as much as tackle has gotten better over the last 10 years, the fishing has gotten worse an equal amount. So I’m no better off! :banghd:

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.