Deep Hole

Peta Denounces Fishing as Crule Sport!! fish feel pain!!

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Why would you get upset when they are merely stating the obvious? Just so you know, chickens, pigs, and cows feel pain too. I don't know of many catch and releases with them, not when bacon, T-bones, and nuggets are at stake/steak. Many of us are torn, I don't want to see any animal suffer, if the things I mentioned weren't so delicious I wouldn't want them killed either. I'm sure even vegetables feel some sort or version of "pain"... I gotta eat something!!!  :waiting:

Well, no kidding. If they didn't, fishing wouldn't be any fun...they would just relax and let you pull them in. It would be about as interesting as catching balls of seaweed, although they would still taste just fine. The suffocating part is easily resolved with a small bat.

John McPhee has some interesting things to say about this in the last chapter of "The Founding Fish"

They're a type of lunatic fringe. When they positioned themselves against the use of rats and mice in the testing of pharmaceuticals to treat humans, they lost any credibility in my eyes. Wanted drugs to be tested in humans only, no prior animal work. Nuts. I liked the time they picketed a fast food place because they were selling "whalers" and some genius of their gist thought they were killing whales to make these. In Europe they actually target research facilities and these places need additional security to protect them from releasing animals and destroying years of work. They've also placed bombs and targeted researchers  as I recall. Nuts I say again. 

Yes fish feel pain. Google Haikai magazine and you'll find a detailed article on it. So what, as someone else said, its pretty clear that birds and mammals feel pain, yet we still eat them.

wonder if peta is letting the bluefish, bass, and other assorted predators  know  that the fish they feed on can feel pain and they should stop....

I essentially agree with what PETA said about fish/fishing, but I still will go catch a few tonight.

There are many positions that are held by many groups, that are technically correct, but run afoul of where society currently stands. In the case of PETA I feel they are 'right' in those things they identify as cruel to animals; but incorrect and unreasonable in their conclusions on what can/will/should be done to thwart those cruelties.

But, to some degree, groups that are considered 'radical' in their opinions sometimes do advance the discussions on politics, ecology, religion, etc....

There are still some people who see nothing wrong with suffocating the 'trash fish'', poaching a few here and there, leaving their litter at the fishing hole, etc. These people are as radical and wrong as the virulent PETA members, IMO.

13 mins ago, riggler said:

wonder if peta is letting the bluefish, bass, and other assorted predators  know  that the fish they feed on can feel pain and they should stop....

They are not. Why would they?

I am vegan when I'm out fishing. In fact most of my life in vegan except when eating food.:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is nothing new with that bunch. They are about working on folks emotions so that they contribute money to their "cause". They're scammers and con artists, nothing more! 

They are a registered non profit, so they're tax records are public. Look them up. They spend very little on actual animal welfare. Everything else goes to the admin and operating costs, AND to their various campaigns to collect more MONEY!  They bring in millions, and the founders live a life on comfort. 

Scammers and con artists, nothing more!

BTW, they don't get involved directly with eco terrorism, but it's been alleged that they fund them. Just another way to get attention, and additional funding from folks who think they're contributing to a good cause. Any publicity to them is good publicity because folks will still give them money. They count on people being stupid. 

Edited by tidewaterfly

3 hours ago, Good2Go said:

They're a type of lunatic fringe. When they positioned themselves against the use of rats and mice in the testing of pharmaceuticals to treat humans, they lost any credibility in my eyes. Wanted drugs to be tested in humans only, no prior animal work.

On this matter I agree with them.

6 hours ago, glos said:

On this matter I agree with them.

So what was the last major drug discovery coming out of Serbia may I ask? 

23 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has denounced fishing as a cruel sport, insisting that fish feel pain and urging all anglers to become vegans.

“Fish are sentient individuals who feel pain,” PETA stated in a tweet Friday. “Invading an animal’s natural habitat, harassing them, killing them, and eating them for fun is so cruel.”

“Don’t go fishing this summer, or EVER,” PETA commanded.

In their accompanying video, PETA asks viewers to try to imagine what their cold-blooded brethren feel by putting themselves in the fish’s place.

“Anglers often try to retrieve hooks by shoving their fingers or even a pair of pliers down a fish’s throat. Doing this doesn’t just rip out the hook, but also part of the fish’s throat and organs,” the video states.

“Can you imagine having a hook pierce your face before suffocating to death?” it asks.

Dam WTF next??!!

That ain't  so bad....Not even sure it's noteworthy..... 

It is peta after all...

#seakittens

20 hours ago, night owl said:

I FISH and I HUNT!

But I do love animals though.... 

Especially when it's on my plate!!  :th:

IMAG0790.jpg

11-26-07 opening day 150lbs. 0091-1.jpg

20181222_211121.jpg

:bigsmile: :lg_smile:

Nice shot brother!!