Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

What type oof fly line

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

First of all thanks for the good suggestions on cleaning my fly line.  I cleaned it with soap and water and found two nicks in the line.  Its a weight forward so see ya.  I am going to replace it only question is what to go with.  Weight forward intermediate, floating sink tip?  reg intermediate?  I mainly fish small saltwater marsh outflows.  and they are 15' or so.  occasionally I will fish the surf in light conditions.  Most of my fishing is in the outflows as the tide is dropping.  Help I am confused there seems to be a million types of fly lines now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

An intermediate is a good all-rounder, just like crowconor said.  Stay away from Tropical lines unless you only fish in warm weather and water.  I'm assuming you meant 15' of depth at high tide, not 15' wide.  If you need more depth out of an intermediate,  lengthen your leader a bit and use a weighted fly like a clouser to get down. You can always loop to loop on a short sinking section, too.  They will have a taper similar to your WF floater, unless it's  one of the expensive specialty lines with a shortened heavy head like the Rio OBS. Cortland makes a serviceable one.  I currently am using Orvis Hydros and Rio intermediates, both around 100 bills. I have some cheaper models and some I heads I put on  mono running lines, but that's starting to get a little technical. Intermediates are good in the surf, as wave action won't move them around like a floater. If you don't use a stripping basket, think about using one.  You can make one from dollar store stuff for under 5 bucks. 

Edited by bloosfisher