Mojua

Can anyone recommend a surfcasting guide (person not book) for PI?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello. First post here. 

I'm a lifelong fresh and salt water angler and former commercial fisherman living in the Merrimack Valley. I fish the canal a lot and I also fish the Merrimack up in Lawrence and Haverhill, but I don't have any experience fishing PI from the beach...Instead of winging it right out of the gate or begging for advice here, I figured I'd start out by hiring a guide to show me the ropes. 

I've heard and read great things about Steve Gallant, but looks like he only guided from 2013-2016. Can anyone recommend someone like him who knows PI well, fishes there a lot, and guides?

For what it's worth, I have my own gear (mostly), I'm totally flexible with some notice...can fish morning, evening, night, weekday or weekend, and I'm only looking for catch and release. 

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

Go to the local tackle shop there and they'll give you the latest up to date info. Don't need a guide. Been fishing there for 50 years. I'll just say that things happen quickly there, here today, gone tomorrow.

23 mins ago, ged said:

Maybe Steve Gallant is still guiding in the surf up there. 

Hopefully so. He knows his sh¡t.

__

Even if not actively guiding, perhaps he might be persuaded to come out of "retirement" for the right client.

Can say OP sounds like that sort of guy. 

Good luck 

Thanks guys. I emailed Steve before I read that he stopped guiding, and I also messaged Surfland. Haven’t heard from either yet, so still open to any suggestions you might have. 

8 hours ago, Mojua said:

Thanks guys. I emailed Steve before I read that he stopped guiding, and I also messaged Surfland. Haven’t heard from either yet, so still open to any suggestions you might have. 

Mojua be your own guide, learn the surf and the best ways to fish it. Concentrate at low to see where all the gates are and holes , mark them with some sort of identification. Work the early morning hours from 3 to  day break and again at night from 5 into the stealth hours, Bring some swimming plugs for the dark hours and some poppers for the daylight . Learn how to cast live eels if you have not yet and work the beach you choose with a pocket of eels and have standby rigs made up for quick changes . You might be surprised what you can learn all by yourself:howdy:

On 6/9/2019 at 6:52 AM, Angler #1 said:

Mojua be your own guide, learn the surf and the best ways to fish it. Concentrate at low to see where all the gates are and holes , mark them with some sort of identification. Work the early morning hours from 3 to  day break and again at night from 5 into the stealth hours, Bring some swimming plugs for the dark hours and some poppers for the daylight . Learn how to cast live eels if you have not yet and work the beach you choose with a pocket of eels and have standby rigs made up for quick changes . You might be surprised what you can learn all by yourself:howdy:

I'm in the same area as the OP.  Any particular swimming plugs or poppers you can recommend?  

The bigger fish should be arriving around now. Fishing the beachfront I have been successful with SP's, magdarters and bucktails at night. I prefer to be closer to the base of the jetty that's my personal preference. 

Your best bet is to just get out there and fish it... and don't forget the bug spray!

Edited by HappyonChappy

PI is not that tough.  There are some general areas, but, you pretty much want to walk and cast, walk and cast, walk and cast.  You can fish just about any kind of plug, or even better go with eels.  It doesn't hurt to hit a minus tide during the day and just walk the beach looking for transitions etc..

sam

On 6/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, TheStar said:

I'm in the same area as the OP.  Any particular swimming plugs or poppers you can recommend?  

One can not do wrong by learning how to use Bombers and loaded Cotton Cordells in the surf. I would choose  guppy wood plug as well.

At night swimmers close to the beach should bring a few hits , but during the day light look for the action to be off the beach more. Given the amount of plugs available at some point it becomes a personal issue as to what will work the best for you , Experiment . Also do not be afraid to throw metal at night or during the day. A single diamond jig draged on the bottom with a nice tied single hook attached will have its  time. Big fish have been known to  open there mouths and pick them up from a sandy bottom, where sand eels make a home. You just need to find the size you can cast.