Mojua

Can anyone recommend a surfcasting guide (person not book) for PI?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello. First post here. 

 

I'm a lifelong fresh and salt water angler and former commercial fisherman living in the Merrimack Valley. I fish the canal a lot and I also fish the Merrimack up in Lawrence and Haverhill, but I don't have any experience fishing PI from the beach...Instead of winging it right out of the gate or begging for advice here, I figured I'd start out by hiring a guide to show me the ropes. 

 

I've heard and read great things about Steve Gallant, but looks like he only guided from 2013-2016. Can anyone recommend someone like him who knows PI well, fishes there a lot, and guides?

 

For what it's worth, I have my own gear (mostly), I'm totally flexible with some notice...can fish morning, evening, night, weekday or weekend, and I'm only looking for catch and release. 
 
Thanks in advance!
 
Kyle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to the local tackle shop there and they'll give you the latest up to date info. Don't need a guide. Been fishing there for 50 years. I'll just say that things happen quickly there, here today, gone tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, ged said:

Maybe Steve Gallant is still guiding in the surf up there. 

Hopefully so. He knows his sh¡t.

__

 

Even if not actively guiding, perhaps he might be persuaded to come out of "retirement" for the right client.

 

Can say OP sounds like that sort of guy. 

 

Good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I emailed Steve before I read that he stopped guiding, and I also messaged Surfland. Haven’t heard from either yet, so still open to any suggestions you might have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mojua said:

Thanks guys. I emailed Steve before I read that he stopped guiding, and I also messaged Surfland. Haven’t heard from either yet, so still open to any suggestions you might have. 

Mojua be your own guide, learn the surf and the best ways to fish it. Concentrate at low to see where all the gates are and holes , mark them with some sort of identification. Work the early morning hours from 3 to  day break and again at night from 5 into the stealth hours, Bring some swimming plugs for the dark hours and some poppers for the daylight . Learn how to cast live eels if you have not yet and work the beach you choose with a pocket of eels and have standby rigs made up for quick changes . You might be surprised what you can learn all by yourself:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 6:52 AM, Angler #1 said:

Mojua be your own guide, learn the surf and the best ways to fish it. Concentrate at low to see where all the gates are and holes , mark them with some sort of identification. Work the early morning hours from 3 to  day break and again at night from 5 into the stealth hours, Bring some swimming plugs for the dark hours and some poppers for the daylight . Learn how to cast live eels if you have not yet and work the beach you choose with a pocket of eels and have standby rigs made up for quick changes . You might be surprised what you can learn all by yourself:howdy:

I'm in the same area as the OP.  Any particular swimming plugs or poppers you can recommend?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

The bigger fish should be arriving around now. Fishing the beachfront I have been successful with SP's, magdarters and bucktails at night. I prefer to be closer to the base of the jetty that's my personal preference. 

 

Your best bet is to just get out there and fish it... and don't forget the bug spray!

Edited by HappyonChappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PI is not that tough.  There are some general areas, but, you pretty much want to walk and cast, walk and cast, walk and cast.  You can fish just about any kind of plug, or even better go with eels.  It doesn't hurt to hit a minus tide during the day and just walk the beach looking for transitions etc..

 

sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, TheStar said:

I'm in the same area as the OP.  Any particular swimming plugs or poppers you can recommend?  

One can not do wrong by learning how to use Bombers and loaded Cotton Cordells in the surf. I would choose  guppy wood plug as well.

At night swimmers close to the beach should bring a few hits , but during the day light look for the action to be off the beach more. Given the amount of plugs available at some point it becomes a personal issue as to what will work the best for you , Experiment . Also do not be afraid to throw metal at night or during the day. A single diamond jig draged on the bottom with a nice tied single hook attached will have its  time. Big fish have been known to  open there mouths and pick them up from a sandy bottom, where sand eels make a home. You just need to find the size you can cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Gallant doesn’t guide anymore. The only guides I know of around the PI area are boat only. If you really want to learn and fish the PI area I would wait until the entire Parker River Refuge is open. Right now you’re limited to the mouth of Merrimack and the Southern tip of PI, which you can’t fish at night anyway. Once the entire refuge opens up just walk the beach. Trust me the way the fishing has been up there it’s worth waiting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 5:09 PM, Duke of the North Shore said:

Steve Gallant doesn’t guide anymore. The only guides I know of around the PI area are boat only. If you really want to learn and fish the PI area I would wait until the entire Parker River Refuge is open. Right now you’re limited to the mouth of Merrimack and the Southern tip of PI, which you can’t fish at night anyway. Once the entire refuge opens up just walk the beach. Trust me the way the fishing has been up there it’s worth waiting 

Steve could not catch water if he fell out of a Boat! I think he was forced to retire or asked to leave the beach in shame.. true story i think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianOC said:

Steve could not catch water if he fell out of a Boat! I think he was forced to retire or asked to leave the beach in shame.. true story i think? 

I always heard he was a bit of a “One Trick Pony” and the guys he runs with are always taking pictures of sunrises. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

I always heard he was a bit of a “One Trick Pony” and the guys he runs with are always taking pictures of sunrises. :cool:

That is even more of a reason to be your guide , why pay to learn how to fish along some point of ocean when you do not even know if the person you are paying to guide you is in the same boat as yourself . Just because some one calls them selves a guide in Massachusetts, does in fact not make them a guide with any credentials or are bonded in case you get injured. Mickey Mouse could call himself a guide here , pay a few shills to spread the word  on how good he may be and he becomes an instant guide . Its sort of how some rod builders say there rods are the best and actually are no better then any one elses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

That is even more of a reason to be your guide , why pay to learn how to fish along some point of ocean when you do not even know if the person you are paying to guide you is in the same boat as yourself . Just because some one calls them selves a guide in Massachusetts, does in fact not make them a guide with any credentials or are bonded in case you get injured. Mickey Mouse could call himself a guide here , pay a few shills to spread the word  on how good he may be and he becomes an instant guide . Its sort of how some rod builders say there rods are the best and actually are no better then any one elses.

Trust me, if Steve was still a guide I would pay a kings ransom to fish with him. It was a inside joke that I’m sure Brian got lol

Edited by Duke of the North Shore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.