Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jim sylvester

solar cap lighting for fence posts

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

hi guys

wondering if anyone has good/bad experiences with solar cap lighting for fence posts.   want to put around the pool this summer, but heard mixed reviews on them.  Not really looking for lighting or safety, more for atmosphere.

thanks

jim

Put one on my mailbox post at end of driveway.

Lasted about 2 years and crapped out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

While I cant recommend any brands, I can tell you this...

My experience with solar lighting for decks is :

1 - make sure they have removable/replaceable batteries.

2 - make sure you throw out the batteries that come with it and replace them with upgraded, better batteries.

Also, any potential spot for a light that gets any amount of shade during the day will decrease the length of time that light stays on at night in direct correlation to the shade.

Edited by Ben Lippen

I have them on a row of fencing. Bought them at HD. As Ben Lippen stated, the batteries that come with them are junk. They barely lasted one season. I replaced them with better quality batteries and now into my 4th year and still working fine. 

One thing I found was that the small solar cell on top gets weather beaten and it helps to use a plastic cleaner every so often to allow maximum sunlight absorption. 

1 hour ago, bospa357 said:

One thing I found was that the small solar cell on top gets weather beaten and it helps to use a plastic cleaner every so often to allow maximum sunlight absorption. 

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding.

For similar garden solar lights I have thought about using a headlight restoration kit. Also thought about just throwing them out and getting new ones, but hate to be wasteful for something that I could fix. I have also heard about putting clear nail polish on the solar cell to keep it clean and prevent it from getting hazy. 

Almost embarrassed to say this but I bought a bunch for the beach house, some for the boardwalk, some for the sand near the stairs to my cellar and some for the rails on my deck (attached with zip ties)  - aesthetic reasons only.  And I bought them at the Dollar Store. So far so good.

I have them    some lasted a year others are still going strong after three  or four.  Kept a few spares.    Think wifey got them at the dollar store or online.   Thanks for reminding me   it's probably time to change the batteries.   Ours stay out all year.   I probably throw away more in uneaten leftovevers each week than it would cost me to replace them when I need to.