ermghoti

Oh Noes, My Reel Seat is Spinning!

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

While fishing, the real seat on my Lami 7030C suddenly started rotating freely. I've attempted to heat it up with a hair dryer in hopes of melting the glue so it will re-adhere. I have an email out to Lami. Anybody have any luck fixing this? Will I end up disassembling the lower grip and seat completely? Will I just have to learn to fish with a pseudo-acid wrap? Find out the answer to these questions and more on this week's episode of SOAP!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The reel seat should be romoved and replaced. If the butt of the rod isn’t too think you could remove the handle and slide a new in up the rod without removing guides. 

Sucky situation 

Edited by ged

Simple solution, drill a small hole in the real seat, rotate into the correct position and tape in place. Mix up some epoxy and inject it into the hole. Give it time to dry..

Edited by Baitbucket

The drilling and epoxy trick works...I drill two holes, one on each end of the reel seat (top and bottom) and put epoxy in one hole and wait till it oozes out of the other hole. Lightly tap the reel seat a few times and let the epoxy settle and air out, then put more epoxy in the other hole till it oozes out of the opposite hole. Let it settle and dry for a week or so. Been two years since I’ve done it to the rod, and no issues

Before you start stop by a CVS and pick up a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and a roll of paper towels. The alcohol cleans up the epoxi quite well. Use 30min and can fish it in 6-8hrs

When I did my Mojo I drilled 8 holes, which was more than necessary.  Drill a couple on each side and shoot some epoxy in it. I taped over the holes to keep the glue in as it dried, not sure how important that step is.  Just make sure you don't drill into the blank.

20190607_220639.jpg

don't forget the blow dryer to warm/speed/spread the epoxy around.

one hole at the top,one at the other end to let air out.

inject the epoxy slowly and slightly tilt the rod so it runs down hill.

blow dryer should be on it[or get it hot first] whilst doing this to allow it to run easily!

HH

I have done what many above have done with the epoxy and it works, but seriously, it’s not worth the time or the mess. Not only that, you risk drilling into the blank if your not careful. That’s not good.

Take it to your local tackle shop and spend $25.00 for a new reel seat and be done with it.

Edited by Tagman

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

I have done what many above have done with the epoxy and it works, but seriously, it’s not worth the time or the mess. Not only that, you risk drilling into the blank if your not careful. That’s not good.

Take it to your local tackle shop and spend $25.00 for a new reel seat and be done with it.

25$?  If the reel seat can be slipped over the butt of the rod, they will need to strip everything from the handle down. If not, all the guides have to come off..No shop is going to only charge 25$ in either scenario..  

Drill two holes, dump some epoxy in and you are done. 15mins of work and cost 5$.

Edited by Baitbucket

17 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

25$?  If the reel seat can be slipped over the butt of the rod, they will need to strip everything from the handle down. If not, all the guides have to come off..No shop is going to only charge 25$ in either scenario..  

Drill two holes, dump some epoxy in and you are done. 15mins of work and cost 5$.

That BS! Any reputable shop can have the reel seat off within 3 minutes. No need to strip anything, no need to remove guides. If the seat doesn’t slide off they cut it off.

And yeah, my shop charged me 25 bucks last time I did it which was less than a year ago. Brand new reel seat and labor. 

5 bucks cost for the epoxy, and 15 bucks time and gas running to the depot to buy the epoxy. I have better things to do with my time

48 mins ago, Tagman said:

That BS! Any reputable shop can have the reel seat off within 3 minutes. No need to strip anything, no need to remove guides. If the seat doesn’t slide off they cut it off.

And yeah, my shop charged me 25 bucks last time I did it which was less than a year ago. Brand new reel seat and labor. 

5 bucks cost for the epoxy, and 15 bucks time and gas running to the depot to buy the epoxy. I have better things to do with my time

Its clear you have no idea what you are talking about,but ill humor you.. If your shop has to cut the old one off, its because they cant just slide it over the rear grip/butt. So how, pray tell, do they get the new one on?

Edited by Baitbucket

Is a spinning real seat really something worth arguing over........amazing......