monkeyface_zeal

Help Identify Mystery Monster

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hooked up on something monstrous last weekend and am more bugged that I didn't get to see what it was than that I lost it.  

Let's say it was somewhere in the North SF Bay fishing from a rocky shore. It pulled drag hard for about 40 yards and then just sat on the bottom and didn't move much over the next ~40 minutes. I know I wasn't snagged because it would move a little occasionally.  Eventually my 30lb braid broke because I got impatient and was yanking on it too much to try to get it to move.  

To me this sounds like a big bat ray but the weird thing was I was using a 5" Keitech and I've never heard of people catching bat rays on jigs. Is it possible that it hit the jig or maybe I foul hooked it? Or could it have been something else (maybe enormous halibut?)?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have seen them swimming mid water and think it would be total possible to foul hook one. Were you in a spot where the current was flowing? Think maybe something  submerged (log, shopping cart, stolen bike, etc) was floating by and you snag that? What was the run like? Fast? The few bat rays I have hook ran faster then any fish I have ever seen, Literately Making the line scream and through the water with a bubble trail..

Edited by Tbird650

On 6/7/2019 at 9:12 PM, Tbird650 said:

I have seen them swimming mid water and think it would be total possible to foul hook one. Were you in a spot where the current was flowing? Think maybe something  submerged (log, shopping cart, stolen bike, etc) was floating by and you snag that? What was the run like? Fast? The few bat rays I have hook ran faster then any fish I have ever seen, Literately Making the line scream and through the water with a bubble trail..

Very little current and my line was screaming, was worried I was going to get spooled.  Thanks everyone for putting my mind to rest that I didn't screw up landing a trophy halibut.