fatbikerjoe

Air Conditioner Compressor

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, rwalter7 said:

The 110VAC voltage measured may not tell the whole story.  Was the voltage tested at 2 points such as at the compressor and breaker panel at the same time?  If there is a 5VAC drop assuming 115VAC at the source (panel), a 5VAC drop between the panel and compressor then you may want to suspect the AC feedline to the compressor.  Until you know what the drop is, don't go ripping apart your house.   110VAC could be due to utility voltage drop.

Yes, breaker tested OK, panel was OK, the line had no continuity.  There must be a break in the line somewhere.  Really weird.  Only one phase of 110 is coming in, that would explain why the fan spins slowly, not enough juice. I have to get an electrician to look at it, which is like herding cats.  Guy I called is ghosting me so I'm going to move onto the next sparky.

Edited by fatbikerjoe

I had a brain fart and 110 on the brain.  Didn't even think about the 220 side of things and having a dead phase.  Yeah, makes sense. Disregard my previous post.  I don't know what I was thinking yesterday.

Update:  Called HVAC neighbor, complained about sparky not getting back to me.  They got me in next week. 

As an aside, this is how I know a recession is coming because customer service is at an all time low.  Business are too fat, too lazy, ignoring core principals.  Nobody is hungry right now.  When it hits the fan and it will in a big way and people are scrambling for work like it's January 2009, oh how things will change, and only the contractors that run a business properly will remain.  Always remember, economic cycles run roughly in 10 year periods....

HVAC// Electrician //appliance repair no show, such not case all over, Locally  Companies on Time as scheduled, Compressor goes on Fridge, repair guy was son of owner of appliance store (Independent )said hey look water /Ice don't work so that is a 300 part new compressor  in 14 year old unit I   would not repair ,We have unit we can deliver today  Free Delivery,  Hell might as well buy new stove as  is 14 years old also. So wife happy ;me I just write checks or stop at bank and get fistful of 100.00 bills

Called HVAC to come do a spring check up, arrived on time as scheduled, Your Good to Go, With a Cat in house change filter often , service call $60.00

Small town word travels fast  so service call are for most part held up to as scheduled

Demographics are driving force of Service call prices in this area (Sebring Fl) yes we moved inland after 26 years on Gulf

And now the not so exciting conclusion.  Electrician ran a new line, breaker, and disconnect.  Unit is working fine, no issues.  It was something with the line.  I had the basement finished last year so maybe something was nicked.  Not sure but dodged an expensive bill on this one.