fatbikerjoe

Air Conditioner Compressor

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Turned the AC on last night, hmm, didn't seem to be blowing cool air.  Checked the unit outside, the compressor is hot to the touch and blowing cool (not warm) air.  Lines running into the house are ambient temperature.  Looks like the compressor went kaput.  The damn thing is only 8 years old. Is this normal?  Should I just replace the compressor or the whole unit?  It's not something I can handle myself, I need an HVAC guy.  What am I looking at in terms of a bill?  I'm estimating a grand on this.

Joe, as in so many other issues we deal with on this forum, it's all regional. If ya give a general vicinity, you will most likely get answers that will help you. As opposed to guys praising or griping about things states away from you.

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 years old?  damn thats pathetic if the compressor died.  if its that new it could just be a resistor or capacitor thingamajig that needs to be swapped.  but i dont really know anything further.  i had to replace my whole system last year, a/c outside and new furnace inside, but they were from the 80's.  cost me $6k, .  i guess they dont make em like they used to.

Edited by gobigblue

3 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

Refrigerant leaked out - unit runs but doesn't cool?  Call a tech and get a proper diagnosis. 

Yes, I'm going to do that.  My neighbor is an HVAC mechanic so I'm going to ask him to look at it.  The fan is running kind of slow.  The air coming out of the top of the unit is cool, should be warm air.  Compressor was hot to the touch and I noticed that the circuit breaker was tripped.  I'm thinking either heat exchanger or the compressor, I do not hear the compressor running.

Run capacitor 

Quick and easy, good company will have it on the truck.

Or something bad happened and you’re effed.

Update.  Neighbor came over to take a look, checked the capacitor first, checks out OK.  Then he checks the line voltage and notices we are only getting 110 volts.  Tests the circuit breaker, and finally tone tests the line and the line doesn't tone out with continuity.  So it looks like I somehow have a break in the electrical line which is possible because I had the basement finished about a year ago.  At this point we are thinking the line was nicked.  Trouble is I can't get to the line because it's buried behind the finished space of the basement.  So we are going to run a new line from the panel to the air conditioner and go from there.

8 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Update.  Neighbor came over to take a look, checked the capacitor first, checks out OK.  Then he checks the line voltage and notices we are only getting 110 volts.  Tests the circuit breaker, and finally tone tests the line and the line doesn't tone out with continuity.  So it looks like I somehow have a break in the electrical line which is possible because I had the basement finished about a year ago.  At this point we are thinking the line was nicked.  Trouble is I can't get to the line because it's buried behind the finished space of the basement.  So we are going to run a new line from the panel to the air conditioner and go from there.

That really sucks. I'd call back the guy who did the basement. 

1 min ago, Scallywag said:

That really sucks. I'd call back the guy who did the basement. 

Carpenter was really good, not some dinky doo weekend warrior.  Stuff just happens.  Could also be a bad wire, as rare as that is.  I'm just happy the house didn't burn to the ground.  I had the foresight to do a drop ceiling just in case something like this popped up, so the home run should be pretty easy.

18 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Carpenter was really good, not some dinky doo weekend warrior.  Stuff just happens.  Could also be a bad wire, as rare as that is.  I'm just happy the house didn't burn to the ground.  I had the foresight to do a drop ceiling just in case something like this popped up, so the home run should be pretty easy.

Your 100% right Joe. Cant prove who's at fault without making work. If you can indeed run a new line and vacate the old one, that's the for sure best move.

46 mins ago, gobigblue said:

Sounds like you got lucky it was only an electrical issue.  Thats a win to me.

Sort of, now I have to find an electrician that will actually show up to do the work.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 110VAC voltage measured may not tell the whole story.  Was the voltage tested at 2 points such as at the compressor and breaker panel at the same time?  If there is a 5VAC drop assuming 115VAC at the source (panel), a 5VAC drop between the panel and compressor then you may want to suspect the AC feedline to the compressor.  Until you know what the drop is, don't go ripping apart your house.   110VAC could be due to utility voltage drop.

Edited by rwalter7