jjdbike

Dogs & Kielbasa braised then grilled?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey folks,

I'm hosting a cook out for my son (visiting from CA w/ grandkids) and about 15 of his closest friends.

I accedentally stumbeled accross a recipe on "SeriousEats.com".

It suggests cooking dogs, brats, etc using a two step method.

1st, in a large pan, add package of sour krout, a beer, mustard, a couple bay leaves, saly, pehaps a sliced onion and or sliced pepper.

Add the sausages and simmer till well warmed through.

Then brown on grill till evenly browned.

Then back in pan to hold / keep warm.

They said the reason is to add some flavor and keep sausages from drying out.

I'm doing smoked Kielbasa and Dietz and Watson Hot Smoked Sausages.Sounds like a good idea to me, what do you guys think?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

49 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

I've used this exact recipe from serious eats with good results.

Thanks Biscuit!

My only concern was for those who may not like sour krout. They could simply not take the sausages out of the sour krout liquid and leave the krout in the pan. Or, I could use all of the other ingredients (beer, bay leaves, mustard, sliced onion & pepper) and put the krout in another pan. The down side would be the sauages would benifit form cooking in the krout, nore would the krout benifit from the sausages cooking in it. 

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

Leave the kraut in. As a child I didnt like kraut or anything sour , only sweet. So I always had to wipe/scrape it off. But it never kept me from eating. 

That said, the last time my nine siblings and I all were together was (holy crap) ten years ago for a family picture before two left the state.

Anyway, I went out and caught a nice striper the day before the photo shoot. I filleted the bass and prepared it for the next day. I then par-boiled some nice new potatoes cut in chunks. Then I cut up a mess of red, yellow, and green bell peppers to cook. 

Marinated the bass in a real weak thing, and packed along with everything else for the trip south to my sisters.

While the photographer did her tests and the girls figured out where everyone would stand or sit, I fired up the grill and put everything into a big foil pan and let it broil on low.

Time we were done, the meal was awesome. 

My point being, pre-cook / par boil is your friend many times.

Edited by Ben Lippen

5 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Leave the kraut in. As a child I didnt like kraut or anything sour , only sweet. So I always had to wipe/scrape it off. But it never kept me from eating. 

That said, the last time my nine siblings and I all were together was (holy crap) ten years ago for a family picture before two left the state.

Anyway, I went out and caught a nice striper the day before the photo shoot. I filleted the bass and prepared it for the next day. I then par-boiled some nice new potatoes cut in chunks. Then I cut up a mess of red, yellow, and green bell peppers to cook. 

Marinated the bass in a real weak thing, and packed along with everything else for the trip south to my sisters.

While the photographer did her tests and the girls figured out where everyone would stand or sit, I fired up the grill and put everything into a big foil pan and let it broil on low.

Thanks bud!

JD

Serious Eats never let me down. It works really good with uncooked sausages in natural casings. Kraut cooks out.  Add stock (or water) once it looks dry. I start it off cooking out an onion or two

15 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

8 hours ago, JimW said:

Serious Eats never let me down. It works really good with uncooked sausages in natural casings. Kraut cooks out.  Add stock (or water) once it looks dry. I start it off cooking out an onion or two

Thanks,

I don’t have uncooked. Smoked Kilbasa & large size Dietz & Watson hot smoked sausages. By the time I found a way to get Schickhaus, I wasn’t able to get them in time for today’s cookout.

I’ll start off w/ bacon, an onion & a pepper. A beer, horseradish mustard, krout, s & p, I’ll add chicken stock (wish I had some of my smoked ham stock left) as needed.

I’ll simmer on low to marry flavors, then add sausages & simmer on low for 30 mins or so before browning on grill, then back in pan. I’ll  add some hickory chips to coals.

I’ll report back.

JD

Your event may have already happened and you can't go wrong with that plan.

But for smoked or pre-cooked sausage, you don't need to braise it.  You can put it straight the grill.

I always thought the serious eats plan was for uncooked sausage as a way to avoid overcooking it or burning the outside and a raw inside.  

Either way, a good piece of sausage braised in sauerkraut and grilled is not going to be a bad thing.

Hope it all went well.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, PeterJ said:

Your event may have already happened and you can't go wrong with that plan.

But for smoked or pre-cooked sausage, you don't need to braise it.  You can put it straight the grill.

I always thought the serious eats plan was for uncooked sausage as a way to avoid overcooking it or burning the outside and a raw inside.  

Either way, a good piece of sausage braised in sauerkraut and grilled is not going to be a bad thing.

Hope it all went well.

21 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

So how did it go? 

Soooo,

The Dietz & Watson hot smomed sauages were pretty good, not great.

The smoked Kielbasa from local meat specialty store was really great.

The Kielbasa:

1/2 lb bacon rendered & removed, 2 good double IPAs, few cups of chicken stock, 3 bay leaves, krout & it's liquid, brown horse raddish mustard, simmered to marry flavors, added 6 lbs of Keilbasa cut into club roll size portions. Simmered for 30 mins, added crumbeled bacon back in. Browned kielbasa on griil w/ some hickery chips, back in pan. Excellent and huge hit

The Dietz & Watson hot smomed sauages:

In pan, rendered 1/2 lb bacon, removed. added 3 sliced onions & 3 aloha peppers (bell pepper that was striped orange, yellow), and carlemized. Added 2 beers, few cups chicken broth, 2 bay leaves, a little horse raddish mustard, few shakes of tobasco sauce, simmered to marry flavors. Added dogs & simmered for 20 mins (they started to split and swell so I took them out). Browned and back in pan. They were pretty good, but not great. The peppers and onions were a nice adition to the fresh rolls though.

Next time my sights are set on Schickhaus. They're not available near me so it's either shiiped overnight in cooler (added expense) or pick them on on next trip to Voyager in Pt. Pleasent.

Thanks folks.

JD

Glad ya had a more the semi-success J. reading your post made me realize that I actually do the opposite for sausages in my Sunday Gravy.  I always grill them well first 'cause I like them a little crispy. Then they go into the gravy that has already ben simmering.