Killing Mike Oliver's Kelly Kettle

Rate this topic

The Fisherman

18 hours ago, flysully said:

How exactly does a Kelly Kettle work? What fuels it and how big is it? Does it make the trip from UK every June or does it stay in the house? How do you manage to carry it (and milk for the tea) while you fish at night? Very interesting tradition and obviously enjoyed by all Mike's friends.

Well, I googled the Kelly Kettle and wah lah, Amazon answered all my questions along with the kelly kettle website's video on its attributes.  Amazing appliance. However, unless a tradition, I would not think of carrying this bulky pot along with me while fishing. I'd rather imbibe on those little Crown Royal bottles which are so much easier to tuck in a fishing pack:)

You guys are killing me. Kelly delivered some of my fondest Cape memories. So many nights she kept me warm and content,  inside and out. 

Under the rare calm, clear, and cool star filled skies, she was a beautiful companion. Under the more common bitter, biting, and blowing winds, she was a warm and welcoming lover. 

Granted, she wasnt the most beautiful, and she was more often dirty than not, but there was something special about her. She was a memory maker.

Funny, I was concerned to leave her with you heathens. I'm glad I got to spend my last night on the Cape bathing and shining her after she gallently burned Bob's beautiful, but difficult wood on the Morris Island shoals. She was a champion! 'll now scorch the special bag I bought to carry her in. 

Thanks f****rs!

29 mins ago, Jim DE said:

Alright I'll bite what is a Mark2?

Mark II is the name / design of one of Mike Oliver's TH rods.   12' 9" and a little faster than the Mark I and of the same length.   I believe also available in a 14' version.   

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

1 hour ago, Jim DE said:

Alright I'll bite what is a Mark2?

What Chuck said. Think of it as a 12/13wt spey blank with an action approximating a saltwater proven 9' blank but with a stiffer tip. They just blast the beaches.

I've got a 13/14wt MkIII that throws 750 grains overhead, any fly, in any weather. Where a windswept and frothy outer beach will rock a 9' 10wt, this rod will rock the beach. It just doesn't care about what the ocean is doing. 

On 6/8/2019 at 3:06 PM, 02807Fish said:

Mike,

I'm casting a Gaelforce, 650 grain, integrated Scandi.  I cut it back 12' to take 120 grain 10' tips.  I'm thinking the 160 grain 12' tips would be perfect.  I let a friend, who's been struggling to OH cast a traditional two hander, cast it.  His reaction: "that's just plain unfair".

Mark

what is proper setup for TH rod

i got 

salt water shooting line 0,035in Int

skagit shooting head spey 725 gr/47gm,23 ft 

and i ordered 12'  T-14

12' TH fly rod

is it proper setup or i have to modify the line ?

thanks snag

3 hours ago, snag777 said:

what is proper setup for TH rod

i got 

salt water shooting line 0,035in Int

skagit shooting head spey 725 gr/47gm,23 ft 

and i ordered 12'  T-14

12' TH fly rod

is it proper setup or i have to modify the line ?

thanks snag

Snag,

I'd like to help, but couldn't begin to advise you without knowing what the rod is rated for in terms of line weight and/or grains, as well as how you intend to use it, i.e., for traditional Spey casting or two hand overhead.  I can tell you that it would take a very, very powerful rod to cast 993 total grains either way.  For two hand overhead the general rule of thumb is the rod should cast about 80% of the total grain weight (meaning head plus tip) that the rod is rated for Spey casting purposes.  Hope that helps.

Mark