The Fisherman

Killing Mike Oliver's Kelly Kettle

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Sad news: Mike Oliver's beloved Kelly Kettle has gone to meet the great tea maker in the sky. We managed one last cuppa on the beach before it passed on. These shots are from midnight tea the night before its demise.

The Maestro setting up shop.

P6021095.jpg.eda3211ad41394b778aa9e59ff8b60c0.jpg

~

Or perhaps he's a wizard or warlock, conjuring a spell to place on the stripers.

P6021099.jpg.006f63e7da7d3dccd95306dd469bae69.jpg

~

More ritual brewing alchemy.

P6021106.jpeg.c1e7ad7aca7e15fd377be36dca1e407f.jpeg

~

To quote from the Book of Colin: "Tea without milk is so uncivilized." Thus fortified, we went and slayed them on the outgoing.

P6021107.jpeg.f5445cf13b6bb220eaebd758c6334fb9.jpeg

Steve Culton

Now I feel so honored to have received one of the last half dozen teas from the wonderful Mike and his infamous brewing machine.   

Thankfully one of our band of TH'rs has brought along a brand new shiny stainless steel Kelly Kettle this year to keep the tradition alive for years to come!! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

What beach were the shots taken? Haven't run into you guys yet.When is the funeral?

Edited by theshadow

55 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Can’t recall. Too tired for memory tasks.

Oly

Tired... think it was that mushroom tea :) or the smoke from the Fisherman's ciiiigar...

Mike,

Had the Mark II on Narraganset Town Beach at dawn today, casting to the backing...but blanked.  May go back at dusk with the incoming.

Mark

20190608_114350.jpg

Mark

Stick at it. Hopefully you will find the fish.

You are casting better than me. My arms and holders and back are cream crackered from countless hours this past two weeks.

Night time is now key for us after a very good first week of daylight fishing.

We have been casting 700 grains on the Mark II and it really likes it. I even went out and got a 700 g line myself thanks to Dan.

It is a continuous learning process.

Oly

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

Mark

Stick at it. Hopefully you will find the fish.

You are casting better than me. My arms and holders and back are cream crackered from countless hours this past two weeks.

Night time is now key for us after a very good first week of daylight fishing.

We have been casting 700 grains on the Mark II and it really likes it. I even went out and got a 700 g line myself thanks to Dan.

It is a continuous learning process.

Oly

Mike,

I'm casting a Gaelforce, 650 grain, integrated Scandi.  I cut it back 12' to take 120 grain 10' tips.  I'm thinking the 160 grain 12' tips would be perfect.  I let a friend, who's been struggling to OH cast a traditional two hander, cast it.  His reaction: "that's just plain unfair".

Mark

How exactly does a Kelly Kettle work? What fuels it and how big is it? Does it make the trip from UK every June or does it stay in the house? How do you manage to carry it (and milk for the tea) while you fish at night? Very interesting tradition and obviously enjoyed by all Mike's friends.

17 hours ago, flysully said:

How exactly does a Kelly Kettle work? What fuels it and how big is it? Does it make the trip from UK every June or does it stay in the house? How do you manage to carry it (and milk for the tea) while you fish at night? Very interesting tradition and obviously enjoyed by all Mike's friends.

And how, exactly, do you break one??!! Did seams let lose (weak weld)?

7 mins ago, ChuckCM said:

And how, exactly, do you break one??!! Did seams let lose (weak weld)?

I believe years of lighting without first putting water in the water jacket.   Extreme expansion time and time again and I think a seam let go.    RIP Kelly  :)

HT