Peterf

Let's talk knots

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Double uni and clinch for me too. The only time I use a swivel is if I am throwing metals.

For heavier work I will only use a 3-5' leader so the knot doesn't go through the tip anyway. For lighter stuff a double uni flies through the guides with no issue so I can use a very long leader when I want.

3 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

Sounds good , I like Palomar to swivel,  medium size fish should be fine ! 

Same here. I use palomar for swivels, and uni for hooks.

When I use clips, I just add it to the swivel.

Has anyone noticed that there is a search function here? There's been plenty of discussion about this.

I would never, ever use a palomar to connect braid to anything when I could use a uni knot instead.

I used uni to uni to connect braid to mono leader on spinning gear for many years without failure. Maybe it ticks through the guides a bit, but it's fine. I don't like it on conventional gear if the knot will get to the reel. I just don't like it under my thumb. Currently I like the FG knot for braid to mono on conventional gear. It takes practice. When you have it down, it's great.

I'd limit the use of swivels to situations where you know from experience you get line twist. Uni on the braid side of the swivel and palomar on the mono side. (Tie the palomar side first, kai?)

Improved clinch or palomar is all I use.  I have not fished as long as most but never had any problems with these. 

15 hours ago, Mike said:

I would never, ever use a palomar to connect braid to anything when I could use a uni knot instead.

Why? Palomar has never slipped for me ever with any kind of line.

2 mins ago, nateD said:

Why? Palomar has never slipped for me ever with any kind of line.

Not enough wraps with braid to make me comfortable with a large fish on and the unions stronger in pull tests 

I use a uni when I'm tying with braid, for whatever reason my clinch knots always slip. I'll tie a Palomar or clinch if I'm using mono.

Sometimes, if I'm tying 30-50# mono, I'll use this knot.. Anybody know what it's called?

I have used all uni all the time for many years now and I have never had an issue. Not one. If I use metal lures for Albies I might use a swivel to help prevent extreme line twist which can lead to wind knots.

Terminal tackle/swivels: improved clinch. Double up the wraps per diameter if it's braid. Just got some Nanofil, been using a double Palomar per the manufacturer's recommendation. Knotless knot for carp fishing. Once in a blue moon I'll snell something.

End loops and dropper loops, mostly a surgeon's loop. Perfection loops and dropper knots if I'm feeling fancy, but other than looking nice, they don't offer much of a performance increase compared to the extra hassle and occasional knot fails (unable to cinch correctly and have to re-tie).

Line to line: uni/uni for similar diameters, FG for mono/braid.

I just uni around the standing line to make loop for arbor knots.

Years ago I used to surf fish and we used a mono shock leader of maybe 60-80# and mainline of 17# mono. It was said that uni knot didn't do well with line of greatly differing diameter so the solution was to double the mainline when tying the knot.

Recently I set up a catfish rod with braid to mono leader with FG knot and I gotta say FG is one heck of a fine knot.

Uni-knot is only way I know to snell a hook.

For surf I don't use swivels any more, don't think they work at all.  At home when I have time I tie an FG for braid to mono/flouro.  On site after a break off, I use an Albright for braid to mono/flouro.  I can tie the Albright fast and even in the dark, same with Palomar which is what I always use for the clip.  Similar to what was said earlier, go with a strong knot that you can tie easily and in most conditions.