Gundalba

Collection Guide recommendations please

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lots of people get these terms confused. For Fuji's new guide concept the choke guide is the guide where the line would intersect the blank. The stripper guide is the first guide from the reel. So from the reel up it's the stripper guide then reduction guides then the choke followed by the running guides.

Edited by SurffisherMike

2 hours ago, Gundalba said:

One thing that makes me curious is that back 10+ years ago, I remember people telling me that on this length of rod, I should go with maximum of 7 or 8+tip for conventional surf rod. Even less for the spinning setup. And that was mainly for weight reduction for distance casting performance if I recall correctly. 

Now I am getting 9+tip recommendation and I am a bit confused.

Is this due to change of rod building concept overall and/or guide technology?

Smaller lighter guides on the tip top.

Often, more, smaller lighter guides are lighter overall (on the tip section) than a few big ones.

What made me suggest single foot, is that the rod in question is light 1/2 -2oz it will be noticeably crisper / recovery will be faster.

Tape guides on do a static load test to make sure line closely follows curvature of blank under load.

If # guides works, then use #, if # leaves a spot or two where the line looks like a taught bow-string, add a guide or two

In addition to what ZA has said you have to consider what you are doing. You are building a fishing rod, not a competition casting rod, 2 different things. In addition to the smaller lighter guides not weighing more anyway having more guides gives you better control fighting a fish and allows you to more efficiently use the power of the blank =  a better fishing rod. 

Thank you both ZAfisher and SurfsterMike.

I think I understand both of your pointers.

Past couple of rods I've built and am very happy with are Conoflex Nevada 13 and AFAW Estuary, both with titanium guides (conventional) as I was bit more focused in gaining casting distance than the action.

At this point, I am weighing a bit more in action as for pencil popping rod.

SU1266 has good backbone and casts very well but a bit more noodly compare to two previously mentioned rods.

Thus I thought it will be a better pencil popping rod and wanted to give it a try with a bit heavier braided line like 50#. I think Penn 6500 I am trying to pair it with will hold plenty of those lines.

Another reason I asked on using higher number of guides was, even though I am more focused on action, it is still for the surf casting at  Northern California where high surf condition tends to be frequent.

For that reason, distance loss is still a concern as well as may be unfounded but still a nagging concern that it may introduce more chance of line tangle around the guides during the cast.

I think I will try KW for 3-4 collection guides and either recycle MN's for rest or possibly introduce some LKW guides for the rest. 

I definitely am wanting to try out the smaller KT+(L)KW guides combination but may be in a close future, with a different setup, like with 10-11', 1/2-2 Oz. conventional setup.

I would gladly take in blank recommendations on those too. ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Gundalba

56 mins ago, Gundalba said:

For that reason, distance loss is still a concern as well as may be unfounded but still a nagging concern that it may introduce more chance of line tangle around the guides during the cast.

Your concern is unfounded.

You will tangle less, not more

You will not suddenly lose 10m on a cast

Tape and test

I can build my own rods any way I like.

I attach huge importance to distance (probably excessively so...)

If fewer guides gained me distance, I would do so.

If fewer guides tangled less I would do so.

Thought I would share one of my current rods, that I have used both fixed spool and conventional (it is currently set up for a Tranx 400 with 30-50lb braid, but this may change to spinning again, who knows)

Running guides are KT7's

Berkley 11' Tec Surf, KR Concept Surf Spinning.jpg

23 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

I can build my own rods any way I like.

I attach huge importance to distance (probably excessively so...)

If fewer guides gained me distance, I would do so.

If fewer guides tangled less I would do so.

Thought I would share one of my current rods, that I have used both fixed spool and conventional (it is currently set up for a Tranx 400 with 30-50lb braid, but this may change to spinning again, who knows)

Running guides are KT7's

Berkley 11' Tec Surf, KR Concept Surf Spinning.jpg

Thank you for sharing this.

They look great and would love to try it one day.

They almost reminds me of those telescoping rods often used in Japan/Korea with sliding egg floats.

I also been doing some reading of my own, trying to fill up my gaping void over past 10+ years on rod building and I found some interesting articles from Fuji on Distance/Tornay rod building.

I think I referenced similar article(s) on my previous builds as well.

Anyhow, I did a rough translation using google and tried to smooth out some really rough ones. They seem to recommend to set the handle and reel to first collection guide to individual preference but using a simple ratio formula for the guid positions.

They are using  4m rod as example but the distance they used between reel to first collection guide is 1.1m.:eek:

Hope you can enjoy this as well. Cheers.

Anyhow hope 

KW-Tornay-Formular_Fuji-Xlated.png

Remember that:

1. These are for long-cast fixed spool reels with mono.

2. A 4m or longer rod of this sort generates ridiculous line speed.

3. A stripper guide position that works beautifully on a 10'6 1-3oz rod with a smallish reel and soft braid cannot cope with 0.35mm mono + a 0.85mm shock leader.

Rods like this are awesome to cast, but not for lures.

Some of the big rods I build have the 1st guide at about 1.35m from the reel stem.

Low reel seat rules the roost in South Africa - typically 290mm from butt cap to reel stem/foot for fixed spool rods of 4-5m.

I'm building a 4.6m ONE piece rod for someone at the moment. Bloody awkward to move it around....

Edited by ZAFisher

Layouts have changed over the years. Tape some guides on and put a bend in the rod. That will tell you exactly where the running guides should go and how many you will need.