Gundalba

Collection Guide recommendations please

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Been a while. I still see some familiar names in the forum which is good.

Hope all you been doing good.

I've been preoccupied with other priorities in life that kept me away but in the process of slowly reclaiming some.

So here I am, thinking about rebuilding my Rainshadow SU1266f built as conventional - say... 13 years ago? - to a pencil popping spinning rod for Penn 6500 sized reel.

I think, I can cutt off the reel seat and tape up a Spinfisher on top of cork tape then replace a few (2-3) collection guides, re-position and wrap remaining MNAG guides (20-16-12-12-10-10-10-10-10 is what I have now) on opposite side of the rod.

Basically I need to do this with minimal cost and it seems like there are few more guide options available now days.

Tempted to KR/KW guides but they seem to be out of my budget range.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

MNAG 40 25 16 12

MNAG 30 20 12

KWAG 30 25 20 12

Cost difference between MN vs KW is minimal though

1. I don't think you will be able to tell the difference if you re-wrap on the opposite side of the blank; tape on a set of reduction guides and test

2. Is the reel seat a trigger type or s standard pipe one? If there is no trigger, why remove, unless, like me you prefer a spinner slightly closer to the butt?

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, ZAFisher said:

MNAG 40 25 16 12

MNAG 30 20 12

KWAG 30 25 20 12

Cost difference between MN vs KW is minimal though

1. I don't think you will be able to tell the difference if you re-wrap on the opposite side of the blank; tape on a set of reduction guides and test

2. Is the reel seat a trigger type or s standard pipe one? If there is no trigger, why remove, unless, like me you prefer a spinner slightly closer to the butt?

Thank you ZAFisher,

I guess I was looking at the titanium price for the KW and glad to know one more option is available.

And I certainly will test before wrapping the guides on.

The reel seat is trigger type and position was a bit too high so it needs to go anyway.

Here are some of the pictures which I am hoping it will give a better understanding on what I am talking about and what I am thinking.20190608_233319.jpg.7b8cd2979441e809bc6263830e25dec1.jpg

First the butt to reel face distance is about 24 inches as of current plan.20190608_235748.jpg.a7d64c8a4c1d599ee6ecf623d5223fa6.jpg

Distance from rod to center of reel seem to be about 90 mm,20190608_234940.jpg.dbe5a7e1c95b916a23d2436547e36c4b.jpg

If I follow the reel center line, it intersects the rod at about 82 inches away from the reel face.

Using this line, I tried to see where the first collection guide could be and seeing KW-30 hight at 59.6mm, it  could be over 40 inches from the reel face.

20190608_234016.jpg.5ef617f7a1dc22b0ed47dc756f2ba298.jpg20190608_234110.jpg.23adb53866a77f446804cf369d44355f.jpgPKWSG-size.png.9adf17ee15bff82c8882d92006fe0da8.png

I don't mind having all the guids on top half of the rod but 40+inches seem to be a bit far.

Or is this how KW guides supposed to placed?

Cheers,

P.S. Good to see you are still around at SOL.

Edited by Gundalba

Cheat.

Choke closer to reel, I choke long cast reels with zero angle closer than that.

40” to stripper is too far for my liking.

Is that a one piece - I’m on my phone it’s hard trying tell with such itty-bitty images.

Measure backwards from the tip top to existing positions of the MN10’s.  I’d like to see if you can avoid the job of re-wrapping them (unless you feel compelled to do so...)

ZA

Also, I’ve got it written down somewhere, it’s easier to just ask - what is the dia of the spool lip?

PS, your spool is way under-filled....

22 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Cheat.

Choke closer to reel, I choke long cast reels with zero angle closer than that.

40” to stripper is too far for my liking.

Is that a one piece - I’m on my phone it’s hard trying tell with such itty-bitty images.

Measure backwards from the tip top to existing positions of the MN10’s.  I’d like to see if you can avoid the job of re-wrapping them (unless you feel compelled to do so...)

ZA

2 piece 10'6".

I had too many guides(9+tip) to start with so will likely re-wrap them all.

It was my first rod I built and I was thinking pier / boat rod while it was meant for the surf....

Also, I prefer to regret after I tried all I could than finish half-way.

Spool diameter is about 65 mm - sorry forgot to add that - and yes it is way under spooled as I didn't like that line on that reel so took some and used on other reel. ;)

Cheers,

You have options.  Since your rod already has cork tape on the butt section, you might want to consider stripping off the old trigger reel seat and replacing with a Fuji #18 or #20 if you're going to use a Penn 6500 series reel.  Wrap some more cork tape  in front of the reel seat to cover scars.  Not as difficult as you might think.

Option #2:

If the current trigger reel seat will accommodate your spinning reel seat, you can always cut, grind and sand the trigger off and trim 5-6" off the butt and slap a Fuji ball butt cap on the end.

that pic you have with the line coming off the roller guide, is that how you check a general angle to the choke guide. you should to the from the center of the spool. for that reel you should be some where in the 60 something inch range for the choke and 29-31" inch range for spool lip to the 39 stripper guide.

8 hours ago, bass11 said:

You have options.  Since your rod already has cork tape on the butt section, you might want to consider stripping off the old trigger reel seat and replacing with a Fuji #18 or #20 if you're going to use a Penn 6500 series reel.  Wrap some more cork tape  in front of the reel seat to cover scars.  Not as difficult as you might think.

Option #2:

If the current trigger reel seat will accommodate your spinning reel seat, you can always cut, grind and sand the trigger off and trim 5-6" off the butt and slap a Fuji ball butt cap on the end.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Though the position of the current seat is too high.

2 hours ago, SurffisherMike said:

that pic you have with the line coming off the roller guide, is that how you check a general angle to the choke guide. you should to the from the center of the spool. for that reel you should be some where in the 60 something inch range for the choke and 29-31" inch range for spool lip to the 39 stripper guide.

Thanks Surffisher,

Gen. angle was measured from center (first pic) later pics show the roller at farthest position from the rod so I can get some idea on what the guide hights should be.

When you mention 60 something inches, were you talking the distance from the tip?

9 hours ago, Gundalba said:

When you mention 60 something inches, were you talking the distance from the tip?

60" from the spool face.

9 guides + tip top will work well.

Oh, I get it. You are meaning ~60 inches is where the spool center is intersecting the rod.

And choke around 30 inches for 30 size KW guide.

Guess my eye-balling wasn't too good. I will tape up the line there and start thinking guide layout based on that.

One thing that makes me curious is that back 10+ years ago, I remember people telling me that on this length of rod, I should go with maximum of 7 or 8+tip for conventional surf rod. Even less for the spinning setup. And that was mainly for weight reduction for distance casting performance if I recall correctly. 

Now I am getting 9+tip recommendation and I am a bit confused.

Is this due to change of rod building concept overall and/or guide technology?

And yes, I am trying to restrain myself from spending more but I can not help looking at KT guides as well as LKW's (seem to be new, has anyone have any hands on on this?).

Cheers,