Thumb-Burner

Anyone ever been shocked by their fishing rod?

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Was fishing the other day off the beach and there were storms off in the distance.  Grabbed rod blank and got shocked twice.  Not terrible, but could definitely feel it.  In forty plus years never had that happen.   I'm guessing electricity from the storm and the salt air.

Ideas?  This happened to anyone else?

Just now, Thumb-Burner said:

I hear ya, but the actual storm seemed miles away.  Wasn't even raining where I was

They say lightning can strike 10+ miles from a storm even if its not raining or cloudy in that area... 

Used the butt of a Shimano Crucial to check if a fence was electrified or not.....

LOL...yyyyuuuup it was hot...lmao

Yes. First cast I thought I felt something. Said must have been a nerve thing. Second cast the rod crackled and I felt it real good. My wife heard the rod crackle. Storms were in DE. I was in Cape May. I made my way off the jetty with the rod pointing down. 2 years ago. 

54 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

I hear ya, but the actual storm seemed miles away.  Wasn't even raining where I was

Wasn't there a story in the papers a couple of years ago about some poor guy got struck by lightning standing on a Jersey beach in the bright sunshine.  Storm was miles off the coast.  Sometimes what you can't see can kill you.

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

They say lightning can strike 10+ miles from a storm even if its not raining or cloudy in that area... 

Truth. Lightning behaves very strangely sometimes. If you can see it, you are well within range.

2 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Was fishing the other day off the beach and there were storms off in the distance.  Grabbed rod blank and got shocked twice.  Not terrible, but could definitely feel it.  In forty plus years never had that happen.   I'm guessing electricity from the storm and the salt air.

Ideas?  This happened to anyone else?

You're lucky to be alive. 

Had a storm coming in and decided to take a few more casts.  As i cast the braid coming off the reel was giving me little shocks.  2nd cast i realized what the hell was going on and i was out of there as fast as could be.

told this story here before. 

long story short, there were storms in the are but blue sky in-between the thunder clouds...they were far enough for me to feel somewhat safe..was reeling in and though there was a slight wobble in my reel..then it just started feeling funny...then I was getting tingly...….hair on my arms stood up....so now I start thinking...this is got damned electricity...reel up, grab my other rod and start sprinting, while staying low, towards my vehicle....now the rods are literally sparking in my hands (not literally glowing sparks but definite electrical sparks/ pulses....threw them down at one point...then was like fuq that theyre expensive and went back for them and made it to my truck....it was really scary. 

talked to a URI professor at one of the sea grant presentations and he explained that the electricity storm that cause the lightning puts out "feelers" (my word) for a strike....I was one of them. 

got home and told my wife and she turned right to me without missing a beat, "go back, dont you say the fishing is good in a storm" :laugh: