Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyplug1

Cleaning flylines

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My fly line doesn’t seem to be shooting right.  How do I clean it there are a ton of choices.  Also do you also polish/ clean the snake and regular guides on a fly god.  I have a salt water sage that’s at least 15 years old it must need something.  Thanks Charlie 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've always carried a couple gallons of freshwater  to rinse my rod and reel after I'm done with a salt session. I've never done anything else to the guides, though I have used car wax on them to help remove ice  winter steelheading.  My main rods are all over 15.  The only problems I've ever had was salt rotting off the feet on a TFO rod where salt got under the wraps. Waxing the guides is not a bad idea on an old rod.   I clean lines with a sponge and Dawn dish detergent diluted as if you were washing up the pots.  Never harmed a line. Some of the products for adding slickness seemed to have hastened some lines demise. I don't use them anymore.  Once a year, I do a light coat of Armor All.  Look carefully to see if your line is cracked. When they first form, it's hard to see. Don't pull too hard on a line when you straighten it, it'll separate the coating from the core- hence the cracks.  They do add friction to the line going out. They go for lawn practice  and emergency loaners  when that happens to mine. 

Edited by bloosfisher

After every session I clean my rod with warm water and dish liquid, using a sponge for the guides, then I dry and put away. Similar for my reels. Every couple weeks I strip off all my line, soak also in warm water and dish liquid (one side of the sink) then in clean water (other side of sink). After that I go up to the loft in our house, tighten the drag and dangle the reel over the side with 20' of line hanging. When the reel stops spinning (counterclockwise for me) I reel that 20' on and do the next 20. That seems to take out any twist I have going on. Probably overkill, I know my family thinks I'm nuts when I do that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A gentle mix of soapy water and a wash cloth. Soak it, pull the line through twice, spool back up. Easy enough. 

For the guides a similar operation is fine. Just wipe them down. Snakes will wear out with use. I have some that are heavily grooved from use but the rods are too cheap to bother putting proper guides on them. Ceramics last several magnitudes longer than snakes do. You never see them on commercial rods though. 

If you have grooving or wear in your guides it's time to replace them. Ceramics basically never need replacing unless the ring cracks or comes out. 

Edited by RedGreen

I let them soak in a mild dishwater soap and then use the Rio line cleaning kit. The pads that come with the kit really get the dirt off the line. 

The maker of your flyline will recommend what to clean it with.Older PVC lines are easier to clean then recondition with armour all.The newer lines have impregnated silicone type lubricants in them.Using dishsoap like Dawn etc. are degreasers which can/will harm the line over time by removing the "slickness" so to speak.Now with the price of lines at $100 range[friggin nuts] use what the manufacturer recommends.