dannyplug1

7” vs 5” fish finder

41 posts in this topic

I wear progressive and went with 7" touch screen unit and very happy with both size and performance in a wet environment. Haven't been fishing in the rain yet to see how it would work.

For my phone, I use insulated pouch/bag/container made of clear flexible plastic tethered to the pfd vest. Picture quality is not affected in most of the cases and the touch screen is responsive too. 

On 6/6/2019 at 6:56 AM, dannyplug1 said:

I am getting closer to a decision.  I am going with a lorance side scan over the hummingbird side scan.  Too many negative reviews.  New question I have a hobie outback, I have read that the 5” screen is too small to utilize to its full capabilities.  True?  Also do you think the 7” will be too to work in the kayak.  Any information in regard to size and particular models would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie-what did you get?

still thinking have it down between the hummingbird and the lorance hard to make a decision.  Its like trying to read an eye chart through a kaleidoscope

On 6/18/2019 at 1:11 PM, dannyplug1 said:

still thinking have it down between the hummingbird and the lorance hard to make a decision.  Its like trying to read an eye chart through a kaleidoscope

I would also suggest to go to a store and play with both devices. UI (user interface) is different from one device to another and you could find something you like better or dislike at all. 

1 hour ago, dannyplug1 said:

My thoughts will go to bass pro to check em out.  Had to have a couple of pre cancer spots cut off will have three weeks to go up to BPS.

Didn't want to sway you in terms of where to go, but  BPS was where I went. The salesperson was really helpful and knowledgeable. I went there an hour before closing so I had no problem to get someone and have a long discussion.

p.s. Good luck with your procedure.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the 5" hook and think its perfect size for a kayak, I've seen many people with the 7'' and seems bulky. Tho i'm not into messing with my unit and checking out all the bells and whistles, i just use the basics. Def would NOT want a touch screen on a kayak....tits on bull type thing.

Edited by Striper46