Angler #1

Today in History

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

marks the invasion of Normandy and those young men who fought for our country and its freedom with there lives . I would almost be 10 as i listened to the radio announcing the invasion and President Roosevelt make the declaration that we will fight until we win this war. Many who were part of the invasion never ever made it back home and lie in state in Grave yards in France marked by rows of white crosses. Some that did make it back home passed from there injuries and were given a proper burial and markers . It is one of these medallions from a grave of a buried hero from another time that I would like to reflect about. A few years ago while salvaging up at the local dump I came across two medallions that had been removed and discarded . I picked them up and cleaned them of , but did not remove the patina from the bronze marker. I brought them home and inserted them into the ground and placed fresh made American flags in there holders. I had just had a citizens petition approved at town meeting that all flags raised on town owned property no longer fly any American Flag made in China or any where else other than America . It is now part of the By laws in Sandwich that will remain the case  forever here in Sandwich. It took me awhile to find American Flags made in America , but I finally did find the correct size that would fit into the bronze medallion, now sitting in the ground next to my house. One of the medallions was presented by the Jewish Veterans of America and I called up my Jewish God father to see if he would except and respect it , which he did . The bronze marker that remained to this day is given a new flag each year, once it begins to wear from the weather . I will never know whose grave it was honoring, I will never know if it was a Marine, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, or Air force patriot that gave of his life to be given this tribute upon being buried, I do not from what war he died in . I do know that i will continue to honor my unknown solder by keeping this medallion in an up right position flying the best flag in the world , the one that represents America and what it is given each of us alive today in enjoying our freedoms as free sons and daughters of these United States of America as a result of sacrifices of others. May God Bless there souls     

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

W. Churchill

5 hours ago, Joe G said:

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

W. Churchill

Those should be the words of any leader that is in office in any country . Other wise we wind up appeasing political whims and sacrifice lives with out justice for all.

Image result for d day quotes

This is in my opinion one of the most iconic images of any generation, past, present or future. It defines a generation of selfless warriors and Americans. We are forever indebted to the men who threw themselves across those beaches and up those cliffs in defense of freedom and liberty.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:36 AM, Angler #1 said:

marks the invasion of Normandy and those young men who fought for our country and its freedom with there lives . I would almost be 10 as i listened to the radio announcing the invasion and President Roosevelt make the declaration that we will fight until we win this war. Many who were part of the invasion never ever made it back home and lie in state in Grave yards in France marked by rows of white crosses. Some that did make it back home passed from there injuries and were given a proper burial and markers . It is one of these medallions from a grave of a buried hero from another time that I would like to reflect about. A few years ago while salvaging up at the local dump I came across two medallions that had been removed and discarded . I picked them up and cleaned them of , but did not remove the patina from the bronze marker. I brought them home and inserted them into the ground and placed fresh made American flags in there holders. I had just had a citizens petition approved at town meeting that all flags raised on town owned property no longer fly any American Flag made in China or any where else other than America . It is now part of the By laws in Sandwich that will remain the case  forever here in Sandwich. It took me awhile to find American Flags made in America , but I finally did find the correct size that would fit into the bronze medallion, now sitting in the ground next to my house. One of the medallions was presented by the Jewish Veterans of America and I called up my Jewish God father to see if he would except and respect it , which he did . The bronze marker that remained to this day is given a new flag each year, once it begins to wear from the weather . I will never know whose grave it was honoring, I will never know if it was a Marine, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, or Air force patriot that gave of his life to be given this tribute upon being buried, I do not from what war he died in . I do know that i will continue to honor my unknown solder by keeping this medallion in an up right position flying the best flag in the world , the one that represents America and what it is given each of us alive today in enjoying our freedoms as free sons and daughters of these United States of America as a result of sacrifices of others. May God Bless there souls     

Very cool Angler #1!  

Greatest generation hit those beaches and dropped from the sky like Easy Company.   God bless 'em!!!!!

Woke up thinking last night of those that are not recognized as much as members of our military branches meaning the members of the CIA.

A star on a granite slab, no name on a tombstone that's it.

It's a hell of a thing to think you might have known the ashes in

some pothole. Rest in peace who ever you are.