Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 5 - June 12

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Have only fished twice in the last week. Found pogies in the 3 spots I fished the first time. Only 4 small bass caught with fresh squid. Last night had pogies in one spot & caught 1 26" fish with fresh pogey. Saw tons of small squid last night & a few sand eels around. It seems like it's still pretty cold right now.

Small sand eels always show on the first big moon phase in June. The MTK guys termed it the “sand eel moon” a long time ago. This year it coincided with the new moon, other years its the full.... just depends on what comes first.  

Fished this week. Usual spots are not producing. I was going to say a few weeks behind schedule but North shore ma is heating up fast. I'm thinking the fish are just split between nj/ny and north shore ma.

Boated 4 up to 35 pounds yesterday and dropped 2 more large ones live lining pogies in the bay. Today, from shore, nothing much. A few 20 something inch schoolies.

Was fishing from shore on south beach  Small schoolies and  NO bluefish. There has been little discussion anywhere about the lack of shore bluefish. This probably  reflects lack of significant bait.

In the bay at 9:00 am this morning on my kayak...found a new fishy spot.  Caught on a large white and chartreuse Sebile swimmer.   +/-25lbs?  She is still swimming around...

P6090010.JPG

P6090012.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

Put in a lot of hours from Thursday to Sunday shore Fluking, only managed 3 over 19", but caught god knows how many shorts and sea robins.  Lots of spearing and squid getting spit up.

Saturday morning I was out and saw a EPO walking down the line of people checking for shorts and licences figured he'd make it down the line through everyone, but nope gets to the guy about 75 yards down from me stops turns around and leaves.  Now there was still probably 10-15 people down the line from me that he didn't check.  Very strange, why come all the way out then half ass the checks.  When I left I got intercepted by a girl from DEM doing a fish survey, first time for that.

fluke.jpg

Edited by ne_dan

23 hours ago, splions said:

In the bay at 9:00 am this morning on my kayak...found a new fishy spot.  Caught on a large white and chartreuse Sebile swimmer.   +/-25lbs?  She is still swimming around...

P6090010.JPG

P6090012.JPG

Thanks for releasing that mom. She can now have more children.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished a rocky area with a great view of lower bay/ocean.  Was a casual middle of the day trip, while wife did some reading.  Hopped to a bunch of different points.... nothing 

The really shocking part is with this great view of a lot of water, there were no birds working anywhere, never saw a single splash in 2 hrs, observed absolutely no bait or any visible schools any where in the vast ocean view, no one else fishing, and no boats around fishing.  I know there are some fish and bait around but the large areas of empty water seems concerning to me.

Edited by Kooky

Past two nights I have found action on grass shrimp in the east bay. Caught tons of fish, almost all of them would have made decent trout. Still fun on the 5 weight though. From what I hear bluefish are starting to take over the rivers and estuaries in the east bay. Bass few and far between as are the bait. 

Found blues, blues, schoolies, and more blues last pm.  Blues were pretty thick with some schoolies mixed in.  Most of the blues in the 3-6# range, but caught a couple bigger, and one HUGE blue.  Not sure what they were feeding on but it was a pretty active feed.  Switched to canal rigged larger SPs and this just weeded out the smaller blues as bigger ones were still inhaling it.  Better then not catching but would have preferred to finally find some decent bass.

13 mins ago, Kooky said:

Found blues, blues, schoolies, and more blues last pm.  Blues were pretty thick with some schoolies mixed in.  Most of the blues in the 3-6# range, but caught a couple bigger, and one HUGE blue.  Not sure what they were feeding on but it was a pretty active feed.  Switched to canal rigged larger SPs and this just weeded out the smaller blues as bigger ones were still inhaling it.  Better then not catching but would have preferred to finally find some decent bass.

Ocean or bay? Found some small blues in the ocean last night but nothing of size. Blues were as big as the fluke.

6 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

been too busy to get out this week.

now I feel better. 

At this pace not sure we will even see bigger bass inshore till the start of the fall run..................

Lack of bait to hold any fish inshore seems to be a large problem, IMO