Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 5 - June 12

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file for ease of viewing. 

This is the second year trying this approach. I think last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us to be informed.  

Got into a handful of blues Sunday morning in Narragansett in the low 20s. Didn't hook up to any bass but damn those big blues were fun on light tackle. 

1 hour ago, VitaminDee said:

Got into a handful of blues Sunday morning in Narragansett in the low 20s. Didn't hook up to any bass but damn those big blues were fun on light tackle. 

Was getting em on a 7' abu garcia with a quantum PT20...Had arm pump the next day but man it was fun. 

I've had two full day trips in the last three days. Our numbers were good as far as catching small schoolies, 30 stripers Tuesday, 18 stripers Thursday. On paper the results look good but look deeper and there is a lot of trouble in the bay.

There is a complete absence of forage fish, namely silversides in the entire bay. Today we found no pogies any where. To show you there is serious water qualities in the bay, I haven't seen not one jelly fish the last two weeks. All of the stripers we are catching average 20 inches or less. There is serious shortage and gap between five and twenty lbs. stripers. The only reason we are catching some fish is knowledge of the bay. There is absolutely no indicators whether fish finders, birds, or rafting boats to give anything away.

There has been an crazy amount of bait on BI. The last few weeks has seen acres of birds off the beach a few hundred yards. I haven’t seen this in a long time. Could just be me. Small bunker have been pushed on the beach and schoolie fest was in full force a week ago. Last few days have been different, no birds crashing. Fish are almost as fat as they are long. I haven’t seen any sand eels as of yet. New moon in June and no sand eels. No fish of any size for me YeT.

fished off some rocks in gansett last pm and waves were WAY larger then i was anticipating and it was a large tide so it was not easy fishing and not a bump in some very fishy looking water.  Tried some other spots, lots of weeds and no fish.  Found a couple decent schoolies in some back water spots, lots of bait in the backwater spots small fluke, baby porgies, crabs, baby sea robins, and other small bait but really nothing on them.  I have not had as much time to fish as i would like, but very disappointed with 2019 so far.

14 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I've had two full day trips in the last three days. Our numbers were good as far as catching small schoolies, 30 stripers Tuesday, 18 stripers Thursday. On paper the results look good but look deeper and there is a lot of trouble in the bay.

There is a complete absence of forage fish, namely silversides in the entire bay. Today we found no pogies any where. To show you there is serious water qualities in the bay, I haven't seen not one jelly fish the last two weeks. All of the stripers we are catching average 20 inches or less. There is serious shortage and gap between five and twenty lbs. stripers. The only reason we are catching some fish is knowledge of the bay. There is absolutely no indicators whether fish finders, birds, or rafting boats to give anything away.

this report is on the money, 3 mornings in a row last week we went out and if it wasn't for some knowledge of the bay we would have taken the skunk.nothing but small fish VERY DISAPPOINTING for this time of year. were normally into 30 to 40 inch fish all over the mid bay area. 

I blame the construction of the $22 million pedestrian bridge for the poor water quality in the Providence River.

Half mad about the squandering of money in this state...half maybe serious?

3 hours ago, smallstupidfish said:

also noticed complete lack of bait in the bay-- freeaking me out-- usually tons of little fish at this point?   poor ospreys lol

They were having an all you can eat buffet this morning at a fish trap on the south coast.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:00 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

I am experiencing same thing in the Taunton River, which usually mirrors the upper bay at this time of the year.

Anything approaching 'legal' size, few and far between.Even schoolies seem to be scattered, not schooling up in the rips, more like a late April first week of May scenario. Water is colder than normal, although today I saw my first horseshoe crab and first fry of some sort.

Fished from a popular rocky area at the mouth of the bay yesterday evening from about 6:30 to 8ish PM.  Saw lots of gulls and turns diving on bait and there were a number of Cormorants that kept surfacing with bait in their beaks too.  Not sure if the bait was sand eels or nuts but plenty of low 20s schoolies around.  White/amber Queen Cocaho, Albie snax, and shad bodies were producing.  Perfect conditions with no wind and high surf.  Right spot at the right time.

Small sand eels are showing up from what I have seen. But not the flood we usually see with this first June moon.