Hook I

The Legendary Neversink

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

5/5 8:15 am -2pm

had the open window not much of a plan not being there early so see whats available =read the water and get in . Parachute was the ticket in super small size best my eyes can thread the hook eye .Produce 5 Brown Trout to the net missed 2 on jumps and missed plenty for being slow to the hook set :mad:

1D38765E-5286-40B5-B7B8-102B5C44FB71.jpeg.17b4797d462f20fe94f6e588467497f1.jpeg8885FD19-C36A-4329-9114-2E015F3FB6B7.jpeg.8d6534a22cd89a016f7212342bbca101.jpeg8D739778-329F-4C90-9CA9-C6E79729B5A6.jpeg.5a6a1df4669cf49d3a7bc084d54ec427.jpeg

I love that river. I started fishing it 2 years ago when I could make the long trek from central NJ. I've only caught native fish and I've never once seen another person on the river.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use to fish the West Branch of the Neversink River when I brought the family to the Frost Valley YMCA Camp which is right on the river. Never saw another Angler but the fishing was excellent with plenty of small trout. Many years before I tried the area at the Roebling Aqueduct near Cuddebackville which was not that good because of slow warmer water which may have been due to the remnants of the old Delaware-Hudson canal built around and crossing over the Neversink there. Yes a legendary river and the New York State DEC has good maps of public fishing areas where I surmise you might never see another fisherman unlike the more popular Beaverkill or Willowemec where more fellow waders are commonplace. Interestingly, there once were vast stands of hemlocks in the Neversink valley but most were cut down for their bark used in tanning leather which was in high demand during the Civil War. 

Edited by flyrad10
Add history

18 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

I use to fish the West Branch of the Neversink River when I brought the family to the Frost Valley YMCA Camp which is right on the river. Never saw another Angler but the fishing was excellent with plenty of small trout. Many years before I tried the area at the Roebling Aqueduct near Cuddebackville which was not that good because of slow warmer water which may have been due to the remnants of the old Delaware-Hudson canal built around and crossing over the Neversink there. Yes a legendary river and the New York State DEC has good maps of public fishing areas where I surmise you might never see another fisherman unlike the more popular Beaverkill or Willowemec where more fellow waders are commonplace. Interestingly, there once were vast stands of hemlocks in the Neversink valley but most were cut down for their bark used in tanning leather which was in high demand during the Civil War. 

Enjoyed your post a lot , thanks for sharing . From what I have been told it’s not an easy water to take on  I’m learning. After more than 50 years of beach fishing , it’s a place that will take me to the end . 

10/8 10;30am - 2pm  lower than normal level, movement was slower than normal , temps were good alot of cloud cover , no bugs WHAT !  had to search the stream for them and they were not on the water , waited it out a while and eventually the fish would rise to a small dark Caddis produced 3 Brown Trout  , missed two and lost one . Good day in my book .