Anyone Else Concerned??

Rate this topic

Can't believe I'm actually typing this, BUT "I've got a bad feeling about this", "THIS" being the size of the fish this early season.  They are larger this year than in previous years without a doubt.  Normally I'd be looking at something around a 6 or 8 to 1 ratio of sub-20" fish to 20+" fish.  So far it's running around 1:1 without ANY micro-rats, fish less than 15" long.  

With an eye toward the future, this seems a bit disconcerting to me.  Has anyone else noticed this size trend?

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

Hmm maybe this is why there looking to change the laws up and down the coast....

Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after, If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

33 mins ago, Tlacey21walden said:

Hmm maybe this is why there looking to change the laws up and down the coast....

Tobias

good to see you back!

agree it’s a little strange, but inline with the YOY survey where 2015 was a decent year for numbers and the 3 years around it were not so good

so the abundant fish around are from that year class, thus the 20-23” ish fish 

Statistics don’t lie, but statisticians do

hopefully I’m wrong, not being a statistician of course. But I play one one TV

hope is our plan for now 

dont keep any fish.. for a while  is my opinion 

Jim 

[/sIGPIC]"Never let the truth spoil a good story"

12 mins ago, jimbighead said:

agree it’s a little strange, but inline with the YOY survey where 2015 was a decent year for numbers and the 3 years around it were not so good

so the abundant fish around are from that year class, thus the 20-23” ish fish 

2014 decent year too, so we're seeing those 2 years' fish, and as predicted by the very poor 2016 spawn, the bottom has dropped out...

md_yoy_2018.jpg

2 hours ago, gbiz207 said:

I was just catching up on recent posts, and was thinking how it seemed like most were reporting mid 20 upper 20 inch fish, with not really any reports of micros or rats in the mix. interesting.

They r in the mix. Just not being spoke of at this point. I'd say I've caught a healthy mix so far. Bigger fish r talked about more and r becoming more regular

2 hours ago, Clams said:

If anyone says the striped bass fishery isn’t going to ****, they didn’t fish around 6-7 seasons ago. End all commercial fishing!

Yes. Back then, and several years prior we still had the older fish from the big year growth of 96 and 99

dont just blame the comm’s. 

There are are millions of us and thousands of them 

if all of us practice CPR (catch photo if you want and release) it will do wonders

if anyone bottom fishes offshore they can attest to a surprising  recovery of cod in the local fishery 

it will take time 

there’s a hint or traction this year with some legislation

Jim 

1 hour ago, jimbighead said:

Yes. Back then, and several years prior we still had the older fish from the big year growth of 96 and 99

dont just blame the comm’s. 

There are are millions of us and thousands of them 

if all of us practice CPR (catch photo if you want and release) it will do wonders

if anyone bottom fishes offshore they can attest to a surprising  recovery of cod in the local fishery 

it will take time 

there’s a hint or traction this year with some legislation

Jim 

Jim, is that avatar you as a boy?

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

23 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

Jim, is that avatar you as a boy?

And that’s my dads 69 scout in the background 

hurricane 4 that thing was.a beast

we had it till 84 or so till rust ate everything but the tires LOL

that thing in Low range would pull me, me three brothers, a pop up and a **** ton of gear on top through anything 

loved that truck

jim

Edited by jimbighead
Spelling

9 hours ago, Clams said:

If anyone says the striped bass fishery isn’t going to ****, they didn’t fish around 6-7 seasons ago. End all commercial fishing!

I couldn’t agree more. 2012 and 2013 were great years for me but 2014 was the best year I’ve ever had. We always caught fish and the overall size that year was good. Most fish were in the mid 20’s to low 30s. 

12 hours ago, Clams said:

OY!!!  These kids today!!  

1. If anyone thinks that the current striped bass fishery is anything less than spectacular compared to the early 80s, they weren't born yet.  Guys, back then if you caught 4 fish after fishing an entire night, you were a God!!  Fishing with a friend, we ONCE landed 11 fish, the only "double digit" day until this modern era where double digit "hours" are not uncommon.  I nailed 11 yesterday in 30 min...

2. Since then, there have been strict regulations and now the commercial quotas are less than 1/3 of recreational landings so just ending commercial fishing would only be a temporary fix. 

We need the "Fishcrats" to come up logical, regionalized and ecosystem-aware regulations that will wisely monitor and protect this resource so we, nor our great grandchildren, never have to go through what we did in the early/mid-80s.