Best Kayak Camera Setup

On 6/6/2019 at 5:01 AM, Rick67 said:

https://www.amazon.com/ORBMART-Extended-Waterproof-Protective-Compatible/dp/B07HHRXB63

They do sell options like that Mike. I would think clips would be easier to upload then 3-4 hours of video though. The WiFi is great. It will upload to gopro app then you can clip out what ever with out uploading to PC to do final editing. You can do that right off your phone.

The new version Hero with voice command will turn on not just off. Eliminating the need for the remote to turn on.

That case does look interesting although it gets one star. Do you know if the gopro app works that way with the older gopro models?

Kayak Wars: Team Fishing Lab

On 6/6/2019 at 7:52 AM, tj7501 said:

The charging cord and the external battery pack are a must, as they give you 5-6 hours of recording time. Where the cord enters the camera, I made a heavy plastic bag “shroud” to wrap around the camera and cord connection (w/ velcro). It’s not waterproof, but it’s splash and rain proof. The long cord goes through the hull, into the power bank (in a heavy zip lock) inside the Hobie bucket in the round hatch. 3 years with this setup and no issues, no corrosion, etc. 

Another nice thing about the power bank is that it helps charge a dead phone when in need.

That sounds pretty cool, would you mind sharing pictures of this?

On 6/6/2019 at 7:55 PM, atv223 said:

I have a Hero 4 Silver.  For those and earlier models, you can get a waterproof back with an external power cord pass through.  I connect that to a powerbank in a waterproof case.  Get's me around 5 hours of record time.

What I do, is run on the 5 minute loop mode.  It records in 1 minute blocks.  After 5 minutes of recording, minutes 6 overwrites minute 1, then minutes 7 overwrites minute 2 etc.  This keeps going on in a loop until you stop recording.  So I have the camera running then when I hookup, land the fish and then after release, I stop recording, the last 5 minutes are saved, then I start over again.  Their are few fish that it takes longer then 5 minutes to hook land and release.  So you get the surprise hookup through the release with little wasted video.  I have the remote, so that makes it even easier.

Yeah I've heard of the loop mode but I have yet to try it out. I just looked up that case on amazon with the external power cord pass through, looks like it would be perfect for my hero 3+. Although I might dump that gopro soon.