secampb1

carolina red fish

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tidewaterfly said:

Long time member here, flytyingguy, Ron Powell, was working in the fly shop at Bass Pro in Myrtle Beach last time I talked with him. Ron's been fishing down here for a lot of years, so he would probably be someone who can give you some advice and info. 

Most other folks that I've had any contact with here who fly fishes, generally fish from a boat or wade the grass flats. Typically, any crab, shrimp or baitfish type fly could do well, but they tend to be on the smaller size, like size 6 to 2. Black & purple is a popular color combo. I've also been told to limit the flash unless the waters are muddied some. 

I've fished some along the coast, mostly from a Gheenoe, but never tried the surf with fly gear. Any that I have done has been in the backwaters and creeks. From what I've observed you might find some fish inside some of inlets on fly tackle. 

thanks, would you say there is fair access to the grass flats?  I have not even looked at any places yet so I'm wondering how viable certain techniques may be and when they are best. 

I would say that like most places, access is best from a watercraft, but there are places that can be accessed from the roadways. I've fished at Pawley's Island, and have been told that there is access within Huntington State Park. 

If you check out Google Earth, it appears that there should be plenty of access, but whether or not they're worth fishing I can't say, I just have not had the opportunity to check out a lot of places. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I live on the northern outer banks --and our reds in the back country are neurotic at best.  Some years we are neck deep and some years nada.  Even when it is on fire in the grass flats (2' deep) it is not a good fly fishery.  There maybe 100s of fish on the flat but they usually in singles laid up.  They are holding in the grass on the bottom.  Much better success with spinning gear.  To me the most consistent reds are from Cape Lookout south.  They have bigger tides than we do on this end of OBX.  NC is home to the biggest reds which we call old drum in the world.  The biggest ones are caught in the surf or piers in the Fall fishing bait.  

We do catch some old drum every Fall at Cape Lookout but from a boat.   The guys who have small boats and can get to Shark Island off of Cape Lookout do very well on fly in the surf there.  

If you are in Rodanthe or Avon on Hatteras Island there are miles of grass flats --great to explore with a kayak.  Our fish don't tail as a rule because we do not tide---down south of where I am they have bigger tides  and the reds get in the spartina and tail eating snails and shrimp a few times a month.   The mouth of the Neuse River has good small reds and big ones as well but best accessed by boat 

Edited by bhorsley

14 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

I would say that like most places, access is best from a watercraft, but there are places that can be accessed from the roadways. I've fished at Pawley's Island, and have been told that there is access within Huntington State Park. 

If you check out Google Earth, it appears that there should be plenty of access, but whether or not they're worth fishing I can't say, I just have not had the opportunity to check out a lot of places. 

thanks i'll do some research

10 hours ago, bhorsley said:

I live on the northern outer banks --and our reds in the back country are neurotic at best.  Some years we are neck deep and some years nada.  Even when it is on fire in the grass flats (2' deep) it is not a good fly fishery.  There maybe 100s of fish on the flat but they usually in singles laid up.  They are holding in the grass on the bottom.  Much better success with spinning gear.  To me the most consistent reds are from Cape Lookout south.  They have bigger tides than we do on this end of OBX.  NC is home to the biggest reds which we call old drum in the world.  The biggest ones are caught in the surf or piers in the Fall fishing bait.  

We do catch some old drum every Fall at Cape Lookout but from a boat.   The guys who have small boats and can get to Shark Island off of Cape Lookout do very well on fly in the surf there.  

If you are in Rodanthe or Avon on Hatteras Island there are miles of grass flats --great to explore with a kayak.  Our fish don't tail as a rule because we do not tide---down south of where I am they have bigger tides  and the reds get in the spartina and tail eating snails and shrimp a few times a month.   The mouth of the Neuse River has good small reds and big ones as well but best accessed by boat 

thanks, I wouldn't have assumed some of this.  Much appreciated.