Buckscorider

Fluke from the surf 2019

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Great that you got out with your son and caught! C&R is good too, maybe someday your son will catch that fish when it's five pounds!

My son, just turned 18 and when he comes we usually skunk. 

One day out last year he got nine and was thrilled!

Sounds like you had a great day and good you kept the phone dry :)

It's always a great day when I'm with my son fishing, especially when he catches !

Learned my lesson last year with the phones. Again, we were summer fluking from the beach in shorts and were for the most part staying dry from the upper thighs on down. Phones in the back pockets of our cargo shorts. We were talking looking at each other and not paying attention and a bigger wave came and hit us up to the mid belly...UGH! Phones got wet. Quickly took them out and laid them in the sun. They wouldn't work or charge in the truck. Came home and stuck them in bowls of dry white rice as suggested by a friend. Thank god my sons dried up and worked perfectly the next day. Me...not so lucky and had to get a new phone( thank god for insurance on the phone!) Learned my lesson as did he. Double bagged phones in Ziplock baggies!!!

2 hours ago, FishnDucks said:

Fished NoMoCo out front yesterday wit my son. Fished from 05:30 to 10:00 am. No blitzes visible, no working birds however, the fluke were cooperating. we had 7 flatties between us. Six shorties and one 18 1/2" which is still swimming. I wore shorts with my cell phone zipped up in 2 ziplock bags so I wasn't digging it out of a wet pocket to get a pic. 

Fish bit on a white 1oz bucktail with 4" white Gulp trailer. Low tide was about 5:30 and the fishing started picking up as the water was coming in. Fishing got good with several fluke caught around 6:30-7am and kept biting until 8:30-9 then it just shut down. All total, I'd guess I saw 18 or so caught between those of us fishing that stretch of beach. Saw one cow nose ray caught by a bait dunker...big ray too- 15-20 lbs I'd guess. A few sea robins( birds) were caught by bait guys too. Nice weather, cloudy then the sun came through. Water was 71 degrees and very clear and clean... no grass or junk. Nice morning to be out with my son!

Very Nice Fish......:th::th:.....

41 mins ago, FishnDucks said:

It's always a great day when I'm with my son fishing, especially when he catches !

Learned my lesson last year with the phones. Again, we were summer fluking from the beach in shorts and were for the most part staying dry from the upper thighs on down. Phones in the back pockets of our cargo shorts. We were talking looking at each other and not paying attention and a bigger wave came and hit us up to the mid belly...UGH! Phones got wet. Quickly took them out and laid them in the sun. They wouldn't work or charge in the truck. Came home and stuck them in bowls of dry white rice as suggested by a friend. Thank god my sons dried up and worked perfectly the next day. Me...not so lucky and had to get a new phone( thank god for insurance on the phone!) Learned my lesson as did he. Double bagged phones in Ziplock baggies!!!

Fish......you could also try those waterproof cases........i picked up a Lifeproof one for $25 and don't hesitate carrying in my front pocket right in the wash...........:th:

On 7/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, MontclairDave said:

SH 5:30-9 am this morning, 8 fluke, all hit teaser hook with Gulp Penny shrimp. TON of spearing in the water but no bass or blues on them that I could see. Threw everything in my bag that even remotely looked like a spearing (tins, plastics, etc) and not one bump. Switched to fluking and got steady action until mid tide and the sun came out, boom, bite gone. Here’s the one keeper I got (still swimming). 

FCEB86A9-23B0-4387-A414-CB45BEE116E8.jpeg

Nice catch and fish Dave :th:.........and kudos to you for a great release :clap:

Not a NJ report but relevant to the "fluke/surf"  report. Fished a jetty out in Long Island yesterday. Caught easily 20 fluke, all shorts. Just after slack tide as the current switched to an outgoing, I was fishing a 6" Gulp grub in pink shine on a 5/0 hook, with a 4oz bank sinker below it. The bank sinker was subbed for a bucktail because of the snags/rocks. Caught and released several 18" fish (19" limit in NY), but did manage one 19.5" and a 21" off the beach, all on that big grub.

I don't typically fish the big grub off the beach, but that goes to show that you don't always have to throw a little 4" swimming mullet or 4" shrimp (my normal tactics)!

On 7/8/2019 at 8:15 AM, TopwaterPete said:

Not a NJ report but relevant to the "fluke/surf"  report. Fished a jetty out in Long Island yesterday. Caught easily 20 fluke, all shorts. Just after slack tide as the current switched to an outgoing, I was fishing a 6" Gulp grub in pink shine on a 5/0 hook, with a 4oz bank sinker below it. The bank sinker was subbed for a bucktail because of the snags/rocks. Caught and released several 18" fish (19" limit in NY), but did manage one 19.5" and a 21" off the beach, all on that big grub.

I don't typically fish the big grub off the beach, but that goes to show that you don't always have to throw a little 4" swimming mullet or 4" shrimp (my normal tactics)!

Hey we'll take reports and tips from anywhere!

Sounds like a good day and I need to try the bigger gulp.

I've never fluked with 4oz's but have with 2oz in the NJ inlets.. 

Cheers!

Out front OC yesterday with my buddy 6:30am to 1:00pm. Tide mostly outgoing while we were there. Mostly an east wind so not many flies except in the lots. Sunny and clean water. Landed 12 fluke between us with 1 keeper size but just barely. Really fat but I released him anyway. All fish caught on white Gulp teaser except the biggest one. Got him on white BT with small pink Gulp twister tail. My first fluke on a BT and I believe it’s because I have downsized to 1oz or less. We lost another 6-8. My buddy also picked up a 2-3lb blue. Also saw a guy catch a nice 20 inch Fluke down the beach from us on a 4” chartreuse Gulp teaser. Said he caught it right in the wash. Never give up on your retrieve! Lots of CNR around. Also saw a 3-4’ shark cruising the surf. Great day! Tight lines my friends!

I never have and luck with the larger gulp grubs, they look and swim great but never so much as a nibble. Take it off replace with the 4” and fluke all day long same spot only diff is the gulp. Probably user error but??

On 7/14/2019 at 3:14 PM, Rkfool said:

I never have and luck with the larger gulp grubs, they look and swim great but never so much as a nibble. Take it off replace with the 4” and fluke all day long same spot only diff is the gulp. Probably user error but??

Same down here. I've tried the 6" grubs and nemesis from boat but never caught anything with them. Limited success with the 5" swimming mullet though. The new penny shrimp has gotten me 0 fish also. :shrug: 

I use 4" gulp swimming mullet in white, gulp sand eels and new penny and white shrimp. 

Never use the large gulp.

New penny shrimp got me 3 or so last Saturday out front. I was happy with that!

New penny shrimp used to be my go to but once I switched to white swimming mullet I haven't looked back. I normally tip the 5-6" swimming mullet to the bucktail. I can say although I catch less fish on the bucktail with the larger gulp than the teasers, when I do hook one its normally 20"+. So its just one of those things the wait pays off. This season I've switched to a rubber skirted style bucktail 1oz, and have been fishing that in the back, and it's been getting annihilated by shorts and 18-19" keepers. Now I'm using the smaller 4" swimming mullet but when that gulp is paired with a spro I rarely got shorts. It's to the point I had two consecutive trips the skirted bucktail smoked the teaser. First was 25 fish caught 2 on the teaser next trip was 20 fish caught 7 on the tease. I've never had that happen before especially two trips in a row bucktail out fishing teaser. 

Went out the last two nights around 6:45-8:15 both nights in the northern Monmouth County Surf.

Equipment: 7 foot light rod, 4" swimming mullet Gulp on 1oz BT with a Gulp Teaser.

Catch: 3 small Fluke (11-14") and 1 small blue. All of them caught on the teaser. Released them all safely.

Getting consistent nibbles. Saw 4-5 rays (cownose, I believe) hanging around the shoreline which was a pretty cool sight. I wasn't out for long but all in all it was a fun couple nights out.

Edited by Phish_Jimmy

3 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Same down here. I've tried the 6" grubs and nemesis from boat but never caught anything with them. Limited success with the 5" swimming mullet though. The new penny shrimp has gotten me 0 fish also. :shrug: 

Maybe you guys have smaller bait down there? Up north here I've caught plenty shorts with the 5-6" gulp, and almost all my 5+ lb fish are on the bigger gulp.

14 mins ago, nateD said:

Maybe you guys have smaller bait down there? Up north here I've caught plenty shorts with the 5-6" gulp, and almost all my 5+ lb fish are on the bigger gulp.

It makes sense Nate, bigger bait scores the bigger fish!

Out front OC 7-11am. Landed 8 fluke, 2 around keeper size but released. Lost a few in the wash using barbless hooks. Lots of kings around. Bite turned off as soon as the tide went slack. Good day!