Buckscorider

Fluke from the surf 2019

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Typically...........how long can one expect to have decent fluke fishing on the surf during the summer months?

3 hours ago, daves745t said:

That looks like the Gulp Ghost Shrimp in new penny color, as opposed to the plain ol' Gulp Shrimp

I was gonna say, my shrimp look different I actually thought it was maybe a gulp crayfish 

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Typically...........how long can one expect to have decent fluke fishing on the surf during the summer months?

Id say through September

4 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

I'm sure you're right—again,I'm a newbie to fluking. Whatever color it was, it worked pretty well, so I'm gonna stick with it next time out. Plus I get to obsess over getting a new fluking rod, because of course none of the rods stacked up in my garage could possibly work for this application. :p

Check out the Star rods. I gotta 7 1/2 foot rated to 1 1/2 oz. Its two piece and i gotta 4k Penn on there. Could go smaller.

I'm sure there's better rods out there but this was under a hundred. 

I got it because my steelhead rod was undersized for throwing 1 1/2 oz a bank sinker with gulp into the inlet.

20190702_193109.jpg

5 hours ago, daves745t said:

That looks like the Gulp Ghost Shrimp in new penny color, as opposed to the plain ol' Gulp Shrimp

Now I gotta get the ghost shrimps..

Never heard of em til now!

Always caught on the little white and new penny shrimp tho.

Out front in OC today from about 7:30am to 1:00pm. Kept running into a lot of grass and the skunk. My buddy and I kept moving around until we found cleaner water. We ended up with 4 fluke and 1 small BF. All on small white Gulp mullet on the teaser loop. No flies as wind was SW then SE. Not really crowded either. Good day! Although we did stare death in the face when we ran into bad storm on the way home and a guy hydroplaned and did a 360 across 3 lanes of traffic! Fortunately no one was hurt!

Moco Outfront 5p-9p. Incoming tide with a SE wind and clear water with 3 foot visibility. There was small rain fish in the wash, but not in large number. There was no action until 8p, when a school of sand eels came in with the high tide. Something was chasing the SE, but I could not hook up with the hammered spoon and teaser, so I switched to a small deadly dick with a single buck tail that matched the SE profile better. While bouncing the deadly D on the bottom, I caught four flat ones, two shorts on the chartreuse teaser and two on the DD, which were 19 and 18. The 18 is still swimming.

20190705_211110.jpg

SH 5:30-9 am this morning, 8 fluke, all hit teaser hook with Gulp Penny shrimp. TON of spearing in the water but no bass or blues on them that I could see. Threw everything in my bag that even remotely looked like a spearing (tins, plastics, etc) and not one bump. Switched to fluking and got steady action until mid tide and the sun came out, boom, bite gone. Here’s the one keeper I got (still swimming). 

FCEB86A9-23B0-4387-A414-CB45BEE116E8.jpeg

30 mins ago, MontclairDave said:

SH 5:30-9 am this morning, 8 fluke, all hit teaser hook with Gulp Penny shrimp. TON of spearing in the water but no bass or blues on them that I could see. Threw everything in my bag that even remotely looked like a spearing (tins, plastics, etc) and not one bump. Switched to fluking and got steady action until mid tide and the sun came out, boom, bite gone. Here’s the one keeper I got (still swimming). 

FCEB86A9-23B0-4387-A414-CB45BEE116E8.jpeg

Thanks for the report and the pic of the great fish! 

I'm always respect a catch and release too..

In was out front yesterday but way too far south apparently, damn!

I at least got one short fluke and a small bluefish. My protege got high hook which was good, he's been putting his time in :)

57 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Thanks for the report and the pic of the great fish! 

I'm always respect a catch and release too..

In was out front yesterday but way too far south apparently, damn!

I at least got one short fluke and a small bluefish. My protege got high hook which was good, he's been putting his time in :)

Good for your protege and good on you for passing on your skills and experience to someone else! :howdy:

Can't sign enough praises for the Cadence cr7 7' MH rod i've been running for bay shore purposes. With my VR50 on there I have tackled gator after gator blue no problem. With a stradic 2500 it's a fluke machine albeit maybe a little stiff. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished NoMoCo out front yesterday wit my son. Fished from 05:30 to 10:00 am. No blitzes visible, no working birds however, the fluke were cooperating. we had 7 flatties between us. Six shorties and one 18 1/2" which is still swimming. I wore shorts with my cell phone zipped up in 2 ziplock bags so I wasn't digging it out of a wet pocket to get a pic. 

Fish bit on a white 1oz bucktail with 4" white Gulp trailer. Low tide was about 5:30 and the fishing started picking up as the water was coming in. Fishing got good with several fluke caught around 6:30-7am and kept biting until 8:30-9 then it just shut down. All total, I'd guess I saw 18 or so caught between those of us fishing that stretch of beach. Saw one cow nose ray caught by a bait dunker...big ray too- 15-20 lbs I'd guess. A few sea robins( birds) were caught by bait guys too. Nice weather, cloudy then the sun came through. Water was 71 degrees and very clear and clean... no grass or junk. Nice morning to be out with my son!

Edited by FishnDucks
spelling error

1 hour ago, FishnDucks said:

Fished NoMoCo out front yesterday wit my son. Fished from 05:30 to 10:00 am. No blitzes visible, no working birds however, the fluke were cooperating. we had 7 flatties between us. Six shorties and one 18 1/2" which is still swimming. I wore shorts with my cell phone zipped up in 2 ziplock bags so I wasn't digging it out of a wet pocket to get a pic. 

Fish bit on a white 1oz bucktail with 4" white Gulp trailer. Low tide was about 5:30 and the fishing started picking up as the water was coming in. Fishing got good with several fluke caught around 6:30-7am and kept biting until 8:30-9 then it just shut down. All total, I'd guess I saw 18 or so caught between those of us fishing that stretch of beach. Saw one cow nose ray caught by a bait dunker...big ray too- 15-20 lbs I'd guess. A few sea robins( birds) were caught by bait guys too. Nice weather, cloudy then the sun came through. Water was 71 degrees and very clear and clean... no grass or junk. Nice morning to be out with my son!

Great that you got out with your son and caught! C&R is good too, maybe someday your son will catch that fish when it's five pounds!

My son, just turned 18 and when he comes we usually skunk. 

One day out last year he got nine and was thrilled!

Sounds like you had a great day and good you kept the phone dry :)