Buckscorider

Fluke from the surf 2019

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Out in MoCo at an inlet and saw a guy hammering fluke mainly shorts but got over 2 dozen fluke and got his limit in about 40 mins

1 hour ago, ACFishing said:

Out in MoCo at an inlet and saw a guy hammering fluke mainly shorts but got over 2 dozen fluke and got his limit in about 40 mins

Nope.  Netter got them all.  Worst fluke season in decades. 

My buddy and I were out front in Monmouth and each got a half dozen.

He got one 17, all on white gulp.

We did spend some time flickin fleas and no luck. Joe did report seeing a striker cruising the wash...

5 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Fluke season was sh*t this year which is why it was so damn impressive

On 6/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, Buckscorider said:

Picked these up from the Tin man.

Thinking the fluke will be very interested.

Thoughts?

20190607_175549.jpg

Buck................dress a little Pro-Cure on those babies and you'll have a shot...........

4 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Buck................dress a little Pro-Cure on those babies and you'll have a shot...........

Good idea Yogi,  does it work for you? 

I don't have any of that but I have gulp recharge spray. Maybe worth a shot?

I did fish that Tinman metal last weekend, no bites but it did a good job delivering the gulp. Got 6 shorts. Zero on the bucktails, small AVA with dressed siwash or storm shad.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, ChumSlickJon said:

So far this season I've noticed....

They don't like the teaser at all, take it off all together.  They don't like the offering dragged.  They are hitting hard, like a fired up bluefish when you get it right.  Maybe they've gotten use to the same old **** and shy away from it.  

All 4 fluke I got this weekend were actually on the teaser: a 3” Gulp new penny shrimp on a dropper loop about 12” from a jig and Gulp mullet trailer. And yes, dragging didn’t work: all hit at the trough using a slow crank and steady jigging action, like a mini pencil popping motion. First time I ever tried catching fluke from the surf, so not a bad start. Saved me from the skunk because nobody was getting any bass or blues, at least where I was out front. 

BA0A3B95-1C77-4EBE-A6BB-2F106A635F25.jpeg

Edited by MontclairDave
Added shrimp color

On 6/26/2019 at 7:54 AM, Buckscorider said:

Sounds like a great outing and glad to hear your girlfriend was hooking up on the shad!

Maybe mark 18 and 28 inches on your rods with electrical tape for quick measure, keep or release?

I'll be throwing a small green shad next time out :)

20190625_200448.jpg

How big is that shad Buck.............1/2 oz. ??

16 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Good idea Yogi,  does it work for you? 

I don't have any of that but I have gulp recharge spray. Maybe worth a shot?

I did fish that Tinman metal last weekend, no bites but it did a good job delivering the gulp. Got 6 shorts. Zero on the bucktails, small AVA with dressed siwash or storm shad.

I've put some ProCure on my Kastmasters and Hopkins with good luck.  These are fine tins as they are, so i don't know if they made a difference----but again, you can't go wrong with scent....especially this ProCure stuff!

ProCure is a sticky gel....so it will stay on for a good 20-30 casts.........:th:

11 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

How big is that shad Buck.............1/2 oz. ??

I dont know what ir weighs but its the 3".

15 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

All 4 fluke I got this weekend were actually on the teaser: a 3” Gulp new penny shrimp on a dropper loop about 12” from a jig and Gulp mullet trailer. And yes, dragging didn’t work: all hit at the trough using a slow crank and steady jigging action, like a mini pencil popping motion. First time I ever tried catching fluke from the surf, so not a bad start. Saved me from the skunk because nobody was getting any bass or blues, at least where I was out front. 

Really good for the first time try! I have a lot of fun, really enjoy the summer fluke. 

It's just gonna get better too.

I'll be back at it as soon as possible..

15 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

That looks like the Gulp Ghost Shrimp in new penny color, as opposed to the plain ol' Gulp Shrimp

30 mins ago, daves745t said:

That looks like the Gulp Ghost Shrimp in new penny color, as opposed to the plain ol' Gulp Shrimp

I'm sure you're right—again,I'm a newbie to fluking. Whatever color it was, it worked pretty well, so I'm gonna stick with it next time out. Plus I get to obsess over getting a new fluking rod, because of course none of the rods stacked up in my garage could possibly work for this application. :p

On 6/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, ChumSlickJon said:

Couple of my spots have been garbage so far. One short and done like 2017.