Buckscorider

Fluke from the surf 2019

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fluking in the surf is one of my favorite things to do in the summer. 

I'd like to hear about others favorite set up, tactics, reports, whatever..

Do you guys just use bucktails and gulp? What else? Kastmasters, AVA's or Keitech's? 

Of course the bay counts so what's the plan for there?

Should be getting good soon!!! Good luck!

Edited by Buckscorider

Back bay sod banks and bridges for me if i can't get on a boat. Usually BT's and gulp or different jig heads and rubbers. I've been meaning to throw some ava's or crippled herrings for them. If there's peanut bunker around i'll throw the net and live line them. Flounder candy. 

I caught one just shy of keeper size a month before the season opened on a 5" white swim shad. That was right as I was considering 4" swim shads for them too. 

I got a 7' Triumph Surf which I really enjoy and it is surprisingly light so I'm excited to try that out for fluking. I also have a much lighter rod but it's been pretty hard to pry my hands off that 7' Triumph. 

Is there a specific kind of structure you guys target for them in the surf? I've been aiming for the beach lip and have been pretty successful there. 

This year I plan on trying metals, swim shads and trying to fish inlets more. 

Edited by TinyTrout

I have a back bay spot that has produced the few times I have gone out there. I tried a seawall in south jersey that did not produce squat when I tried twice, despite looking promising. A SOL member led me somewhere out back that I tried this weekend and I did lose one but there was not a lot of area to cover, especially when the bait guys showed up. I tried out front once and lost something but I think it was a striper. I'd like to try the sod banks but I need to get some hip waders or boots or something. I have no idea what I am looking for aside from drop offs. The only spot I've had luck at I knew was good because I had been out on a boat in the area and understood the structure there.

The few times a year I do it I target a popular inlet/bay/creek mouth in south jersey. Typically fish the same rig I use on a boat dropper loop rig 1oz bucktail and about 12-18" above size 6 Mustad O'Shaughnessy. Normally 5" gulp mullet on the bucktail and 3" on the plain hook. My last trip last year had steady action I fished the rig with a pretty consistent jigging action but kept the rod tip down. This spot I normally target a deeper drop off. Usually fishing from land I'll target creek mouths and drop offs. 

Went out and gave it a shot yesterday with no success which I attribute to water temp and I was probably fishing too quick. My best success from land has been on the tail of the outgoing and first bit of time on the incoming. 

I love my bucktails but yea, when snappers are in, they get live-lined, be it in the bays, inlets, or beach front. Fluke destroy them. I fish them on a 4/0 Octopus hook tied on a long dropper loop so they can swim a bit.

Keitechs are good too, but I still fish Gulp over them.

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

I love my bucktails but yea, when snappers are in, they get live-lined, be it in the bays, inlets, or beach front. Fluke destroy them. I fish them on a 4/0 Octopus hook tied on a long dropper loop so they can swim a bit.

Keitechs are good too, but I still fish Gulp over them.

Interesting...when you liveline the snappers where do you place the hook? Also I'm guessing when you put them on the dropper loop you also have a sinker to hold the bottom?

From the surf AOK Pnut with a teaser and 4 inch gulp on a dropper loop up top. Had good success with this last summer and catch ratio was 50/50 Pnut and teaser/gulp. Bigger fish hit the Pnut. The Pnut has a nice flutter action on retrieve so no need for the machine gun skinner method. 

Interesting topic. I'm trying to learn the surf fluking techniques. I've been trying to read spots a bit better looking for cuts, holes, good bottom.. That's where I fall short. I have my striper/bluefish areas, but havent discovered fluke spots. Not because there aren't any, just that I haven't taken the time to learn to do so. Something I'm going to try and get better at this summer.

Edited by joefishnj21

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

Interesting...when you liveline the snappers where do you place the hook? Also I'm guessing when you put them on the dropper loop you also have a sinker to hold the bottom?

It sometimes pops off, but right through the bottom jaw, sometimes through both lips. The hookup rate sometimes is less than ideal, but I let the fluke eat the thing before setting the hook. I do have a small, 1-2oz sinker on the bottom. The loop with hook is about 6-8in off the bottom, so the snapper stays close to the bottom where a fluke will be waiting. 

I've tried hooking them through the back behind the dorsal, but many times the hook pulls on the cast, or the fluke rips the bait off on the hit. Through the bottom lip I've had multiple instances where even if a fish drops the snapper after the first hit, they'll come back and finish the job. The bottom lip is sturdy and holds the fish well. 

13 hours ago, TinyTrout said:

I caught one just shy of keeper size a month before the season opened on a 5" white swim shad. That was right as I was considering 4" swim shads for them too. 

I got a 7' Triumph Surf which I really enjoy and it is surprisingly light so I'm excited to try that out for fluking. I also have a much lighter rod but it's been pretty hard to pry my hands off that 7' Triumph. 

Is there a specific kind of structure you guys target for them in the surf? I've been aiming for the beach lip and have been pretty successful there. 

This year I plan on trying metals, swim shads and trying to fish inlets more. 

Good you got one already!

I hear guys that slay on the small (2 or 3"?) Storm Shads in chartreuse. I havnt given them enough time to speak first hand.

Regarding structure, i cast to the near side of the bar or the point of a bar where it ends near a cut. 

Some think that mole crabs are only on the beach but they're on the bar too.

Ever hear the term elephants eat peanuts.....matching the profile of the prominent bait present .... while it won’t weed out the small fish can pay off with real good fish, in the back waters .... I’ve caught some of my biggest flounder while targeting weakfish with a 3 “ finesse on a 3/8 oz jig head. 

That being said.....I’ve caught fish in the back to 28” on the hero or zero bait (big cut bait)  as well.

This was my favorite fishing method before the beach replenishment seemed to get worse and wipe out my spots. I gave it a shot last week and saw no signs of life. I caught 2 fluke over 28" from the surf/sods in 2016 and many more keepers. Just when I started thinking I had the game mastered my spots dried up and I didn't get one keeper from any of them last year!! My only advice would be to experiment with your teasers. I won't give away my favs but experiment and you will be surprised what works.

I like the sound of using Fin S on the light jig head as well as experimenting with teasers.

Last fall when I switched over to Bass I was using a black and flashabou teaser and the fluke loved it!