finefish

Worst Start In Years

Rate this topic

292 posts in this topic

That's the thing:

Big bass are old bass.

And if you cull all the fat old gals from a population, it takes a decade to reboot. Can't just make rats from 2015 get big in one season. Nope. We'll have to wait out the slump for many many seasons til the dinks grow into slobs.

If indeed we are in a big fish drought-- get used to the new normal folks. Because something like that takes a long time to fix 

Just an FYI as to why we don't have many big fish anymore. 

An annual tournament was just held on the canal. A 34.5lb fish won. The prize? A pair of suspenders. That fish was kept for a pair of suspenders! :mad:

1 min ago, bob_G said:

An annual tournament was just held on the canal. A 34.5lb fish won. The prize? A pair of suspenders. That fish was kept for a pair of suspenders! :mad:

Unreal isn’t it. Shame on the shop for holding kill tournaments. 

2 mins ago, gray gables said:

Unreal isn’t it. Shame on the shop for holding kill tournaments. 

GG,

I don't think it was a shop that ran it. 

I’ve got no issue with people keeping larger fish in reasonable numbers. The reason the 36” minimum size worked so well is that these fish have had a few seasons to spawn successfully. This 28” **** has to go. Bring back 1 @ 36” from Virginia to Maine. It worked before it would work again. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saw 3/4 stripers today 35/38 pounds. If it sooo bad and going downhill, just stay home.

:p

Edited by Deep Hole

The comments from people who have caught a couple big fish thus far are a little ridiculous...

I log a ton of hours on the water and have friends who fish even more. Have had the bite on the south shore dialed in better than anyone for the past few years. If I'm not catching fish and my friends aren't catching fish that just simply means there's no fish. Either they're still not here yet or the population numbers have really depleted that quickly. Have people in other areas of the state experienced this same slow start or is it just my area?

44 mins ago, bob_G said:

GG,

I don't think it was a shop that ran it. 

Okay now I know what tournament your talking about. Sad thing is half those guys talk about bass being killed during the season yet they participate in that tournament. 

6 hours ago, 55555s said:

Yes, so if you crush barbs, use circles, no trebles, fish quickly, release quickly, and dont catch and pose for a long time, and dont fish warm water, its less.

My point exactly, not everyone is the average, and you neednt be if you are.  

Still-in-water release  beats air release, and air release beats dragging them thru the sand or bouncin 'em on the rocks before pinning them with your boot to remove the treble hook. I'm good with in-water or air release over water with small fish. Wasn't exactly trying but I've done my share of water release with bigger fish.

I think that the majority of fisherman here respect the stripers.  It's the people who dont contribute on sites like SOL or aren't members of respectable groups that are poaching or killing fish for an IG pic.  The later, I think with time, can be taught what fishing is all about and how to respect the fish.  But, how do we get the people who are used to taking from the ocean whenever and whatever they need ( because thats how its done where they are from or its how they were brought up) to stop?  That guy sitting out on the rocks filling a cooler of shorts I am sure is not a contributor to this site.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks?  Well that dog is f'in up my fishing and my childrens fishing, so what do we do with that dog?

8 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

Saw 3/4 stripers today 35/38 pounds. If if it sooo bad and going downhill, just stay home.

:p

3-4 35 lb bass?  Wow those are huge numbers of cows. All is right with the world. I dunno WTH people on here are talking about? :cool:

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

I've actually never been to the canal.  You cant believe everything you read, but based upon a few decades of anecdotal chatter, it sure seems like it attracts anglers who are real stewards for the resource.   

4 hours ago, shoot2drill said:

so what do we do with that dog?

Steal his bike and smash his car.  

Kidding aside, without making them feel financial or physical pain, you arent going to teach them anything.  Never.  Sure there may be one or two, but you arent going to teach an adult out of a cultural norm.  Its just not happening.