finefish

Worst Start In Years

Rate this topic

284 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, slip n slide said:

Obviously,things have changed and that's good.

The 5 fish limit existed for many years.

I agree that is good, the point I was trying to make is that the current regulations in MD for 2 fish slot limit has been in place for years, I just confirmed going back at least to 2014.  Your original comment seemed to indicate that was the current regulation and people believed you.

We have to make the best out of whats left guys and practice personal healthy choice for consumption and or release. 

I took a shutout last night in the same area where it was bordering on epic over the weekend.   I like the challenge.  Now I have to sleep and get up at midnight to give it a go again and then head to work.  

A word on the mackerel.  Even though  they are out there bass are still coming into the rocks to float, chill or scrounge  on lobsters and crabs. 

41 mins ago, 55555s said:

For summer fish all styles of fishing, yes.   I believe the number is lower for cooler qwaters (a huge factor) and circle hooked or lip hooked fish on lures with crushed barbs pulled in rapidly and released immediately.  

Again.....reading ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC FACTUAL studies of mortality rate ......is NOT OVERRATED!!!!!

9% average considering ALL aspects, hooks, experience, ect.....

..if science could only make a study in the canal specifically, I am certain mortality rate  would be far worse, due to things like strong current and fish fighting to exhaustion.

diodati-and-richards-1996.pdf

Yes, so if you crush barbs, use circles, no trebles, fish quickly, release quickly, and dont catch and pose for a long time, and dont fish warm water, its less.

My point exactly, not everyone is the average, and you neednt be if you are.  

24 mins ago, 55555s said:

Yes, so if you crush barbs, use circles, no trebles, fish quickly, release quickly, and dont catch and pose for a long time, and dont fish warm water, its less.

.....my guess is you really did not read the study......

Virtually NO ONE can make a claim they do NOT HARM FISH for C&R...is my point.

According to the Cat Cove D&R study of 96':

3% is the BEST the MOST EXPERIENCED ANGLER CAN GET.

26% is the WORST to be expected.

9% is the AVERAGE

These numbers reflect cool flushing water, saline, in a controlled environment by both experienced and novice fishermen, using all verities of hooks.

Science matters.

But even the study was quick to point out the numbers are far lower than other studies......so.....it just gets worse not better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

fishing has been great this year for me, lots of big bass in the east bay. Also i've had a lot of luck at everyone's favorite spot down the cape these last 4 days

Edited by canalsharpie

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

A word on the mackerel.  Even though  they are out there bass are still coming into the rocks to float, chill or scrounge  on lobsters and crabs. 

Agree.

Most/(nearly all) of my "good first fish" of the year have come in for crabs. There's a NShore crab spot I like that fills with crabs by June 7th or so, and the bass move right in off the migration to feed on little crabs. I take the fish at night on eels. 

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

.....my guess is you really did not read the study......

Virtually NO ONE can make a claim they do NOT HARM FISH for C&R...is my point.

According to the Cat Cove D&R study of 96':

3% is the BEST the MOST EXPERIENCED ANGLER CAN GET.

9% is the AVERAGE

These numbers reflect cool flushing water, saline, in a controlled environment by both experienced and novice fishermen, using all verities of hooks.

Science matters.

Almost exactly what I said.    Absolutely, in context and intent. 

3% is better than 9%.

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

There are ways to substantially reduce mortality.    its scientifically proven.  The guy I quoted above gets it.

Good post.....thought I was the only one, been fishing hard and besides the millions of mid 20 inch fish I've got only 1 keeper so far. Been confused an frustrated making 2 hour drives to find large with nothing but small, fish local and no large yet either. I see random large being caught along beachfronts but no numbers. Popular local herring runs only producing holdovers and and fresh schoolies. Talked to a friend in Jersey and he said water temps are around 58-60 no reason for the big girls to leave that just yet. They will be here just have to wait it out a little longer. The season for big bass is getting shorter every year....they show up later and later and leave earlier and earlier but this could also be because of the numbers being down. 

The numbers are definitely down but the amount of small fish is encouraging. My suggestion would be to leave the dinks alone and use methods that encourage larger bass to eat. Does anyone really need to hammer schoollies for hours? Catch a few release them carefully and switch to large baits and hope for a good fish. I’d rather catch 1 30 pounder than 100 smalls. That study shows that even the best kill 3 out of a hundred and as pointed out the conditions play a huge part in mortality. The number of dead bass just get higher. Liveline big macs and pogies use a big circle and return more than we eat and hope for the best. The only other option is to give it up and that ain’t happening 

Another point to consider is that most of these little fish are around 4 years old and won’t get to 40 inches till 2028 that’s 9 more years of idiots snapping selfies to post of fish that they shouldn’t even be targeting