finefish

Worst Start In Years

Rate this topic

284 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

And all those C&R numbers are off........mortality rate is likely worse than thought...so even if you are not keeping them, you are destroying the biomass with C&R.

Last legit study concluded 9% mortality rate.

 

Edited by FishRatz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slip n slide said:

they go to the chesapeake for the winter and never come back bcz ppl are allowed to harvest 5 fish over 18" and the ppl never miss a chance to limit out on some schoolies

What part of the Chesapeake Bay allows for 5 fish per day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, BelAirSteve said:

What part of the Chesapeake Bay allows for 5 fish per day?

I think that the regulations were recently changed to Virginia 1 fish and Maryland 2 fish with a slot limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, z-man said:

I think that the regulations were recently changed to Virginia 1 fish and Maryland 2 fish with a slot limit. 

I was hoping that slip n slide would respond.  The only regulation that changed was VA cancelled the trophy season this year.  There are lots of "proposed" changes in VA, and 1 fish limit per person is one of them.

 

I went back to 2016 in MD, and it has been 2 fish slot limit, two in the 20-28" slot, or one in the slot and one over 28".  In 2018, they lowered the slot to 19" and it remains that for 2019. 

 

In VA for 2018 and 2019 it's a 20-28" slot, two in the 20-28" slot, or one in slot and one over 28". 

 

Saying things like ppl are allowed to harvest 5 fish over 18" is irresponsible and brings nothing to the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I gave up fishing for stripers this year just because of this. I dont want to be part of the problem honestly. I drove by a school of bass on the surface and just kept on going to chase seabass and bottom fish. The only way to fix the stocks is by not fishing for them. Let's say I catch 300 big breeders during the idiot fishing the canal has been producing and I c&r all of them. Thats still around 30 fish at 9% and it is most definitely higher than 9% realistically. I'll pass on that....

Theres plenty of other opportunities in this state both freshwater and saltwater to put a bend in my rod.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, FishRatz said:

And all those C&R numbers are off........mortality rate is likely worse than thought...so even if you are not keeping them, you are destroying the biomass with C&R.

Last legit study concluded 9% mortality rate.

 

Exactly. This new “CPR” fad is a joke. People preaching about not keeping fish and only releasing them when the same people have fish out of the water for 5 minutes just to get that perfect IG pic, only to have said fish go belly up.  

Edited by rbart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Deep Hole said:

Hey i caught 4 in the Canal today. Largest was 37 inches. Water is still on the cool side. Hang in there, might just turn out to be your best season...

Good to know. Everyone should go there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, HanoverStriper said:

Good to know. Everyone should go there! 

No, everyone should go to the beaches. The beaches are where it's at. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Circle hooks and banning gaffs will solve all these problems.  GTFOH

Read this study. Facts of science. 

While circle hooks may help, (for those who fish bait) the science is more about hook penetration. 

 

Now take for example, if you are fishing bait, the fish you are likely to release are probably undersized. (at least this was the intention of changing to the circle hook laws)

 

I mean really, how many people fish C&R...with BAIT?? 

 

If you want a clean C&R, fish BARBLESS single hooks, ....forget crushing them......grind barb & polish them smooth.

This is normal practice for some very vulnerable trout streams in Maine.

 

 

 

diodati-and-richards-1996.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FishRatz said:

And all those C&R numbers are off........mortality rate is likely worse than thought...so even if you are not keeping them, you are destroying the biomass with C&R.

Last legit study concluded 9% mortality rate.

 

 

For summer fish all styles of fishing, yes.   I believe the number is lower for cooler qwaters (a huge factor) and circle hooked or lip hooked fish on lures with crushed barbs pulled in rapidly and released immediately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimKu said:

Downsize your gear if there a no big fish and have fun.

 

My philosophy in general.  I really honestly appcreiate the variety in species more than chasing down big cows.  Generally held in low regard by many, but I dont fish for my ego.  To each his own, but there's the fact that its real people who are overfishing, not hypothetical stats.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BelAirSteve said:

I was hoping that slip n slide would respond.  The only regulation that changed was VA cancelled the trophy season this year.  There are lots of "proposed" changes in VA, and 1 fish limit per person is one of them.

 

I went back to 2016 in MD, and it has been 2 fish slot limit, two in the 20-28" slot, or one in the slot and one over 28".  In 2018, they lowered the slot to 19" and it remains that for 2019. 

 

In VA for 2018 and 2019 it's a 20-28" slot, two in the 20-28" slot, or one in slot and one over 28". 

 

Saying things like ppl are allowed to harvest 5 fish over 18" is irresponsible and brings nothing to the discussion.

Obviously,things have changed and that's good.

The 5 fish limit existed for many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.