finefish

Worst Start In Years

Rate this topic

284 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Albies too

That's why I stopped fishing albies years ago. An awful lot of them don't survive.

Edited by bob_G

All that said, the amount of sublegal fish around is borderline insane in some locations. So where do all those little fish go when they grow up? :hooked:

21 mins ago, bdowning said:

All that said, the amount of sublegal fish around is borderline insane in some locations. So where do all those little fish go when they grow up? :hooked:

they go to the chesapeake for the winter and never come back bcz ppl are allowed to harvest 5 fish over 18" and the ppl never miss a chance to limit out on some schoolies

43 mins ago, slip n slide said:

they go to the chesapeake for the winter and never come back bcz ppl are allowed to harvest 5 fish over 18" and the ppl never miss a chance to limit out on some schoolies

Five over 18"?  No kidding?  That doesnt seem like a good plan.  

Typical to most species of overfishing, when all large are taken from the biomass, many smaller ones replace the void. Then regulations get changed to allow harvest of smaller ones...then it's game over for the species.

Cod is a perfect example. And consider these were overfished by mainly via boat accessible.

Stripers have now been classified by NOAA as overfished as of last Fall.

Consider this species as accessible by both boats, ( commercial and rec, ) and by shore.

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

He's not kidding.  Those are the regs.

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

Typical to most species of overfishing, when all large are taken from the biomass, many smaller ones replace the void. Then regulations get changed to allow harvest of smaller ones...then it's game over for the species.

Cod is a perfect example. And consider these were overfished by mainly via boat accessible.

Consider this species as accessible by both boats, ( commercial and rec, ) and by shore.

I would like to think that in 2019 if new regulations are being considered that reduces the size limit on striped bass there would be such a massive uproar that it would get shot down.  Maybe that is wishful thinking though...

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

Makes me sick to even think of it.

Unfortunately I'm related to someone who lives there that doesn't think twice about going twice a day for two limits,taking all four of his adult kids ea time so they can take 25/trip.

This isn't the beginning of the end,it is the end!

I usually spend 50+ days on the coast fishing stripes.This year? I don't even have a plan in the works...

I usually have a bunch of keeper sized fish in the boat already. For a decade, live mackerel in my usual haunts have been virtually a lock for success on 15-20 lb fish. This year I can’t buy a big fish. Biggest fish thus far is 26”. Plenty of fish around, they just can’t fit a 12” mackerel in their mouths.

11 hours ago, Riptide said:

The vast majority are dead and gone.   

Exactly....  And everyone wants to know what happens to the all the schoolies, well they grow to 28" (if they survive seals and poaching) and then are "legally" taken out of the population.

In RI there is a HUGE absence of larger fish unless you have a boat.  Other than 1 28" fish, i havent caught another keeper and this is the latest in the year ever for that.  I have not seen or heard of more then a hand full of legal fish caught from shore and plenty of people fishing.  Welcome to the new reality of Striped bass fishing, cannot catch what is not there.  Even if regs change drastically it will be years before we would even see a remote rebound.

12 hours ago, Riptide said:

The vast majority are dead and gone.   

It's the 5 man Striper "Teams" at the Canal last year......

There definitely is a shortage of fish in the mid CT River where I focus my efforts this time of year. Numbers and size are wayyyy down. (I do have two over 30# so far) but way worse than normal.

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

I'd love to know. This is my best season in a while for schoolies and worst for bigger fish.