finefish

Worst Start In Years

Rate this topic

344 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Well while Mr Finefish is crushing brewskis and 60s us lowly shore guys are crushing brewskis at Game 7.  Go Bs!

5C9573C1-46F0-4815-A7DB-0F7AF6C28701.jpeg

969FF299-9B1E-4155-82AD-EB83C3326967.jpeg

53BCDDB0-71A4-43F9-A6C9-29EF3E8A1C60.jpeg

Nice. My 20 yo daughter was there with a ticket she won in a bet. Drove in alone and only got lost for a couple hours ("No I don't need your GPS") lol. Rough night but great experience..

On 6/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, JTR said:

I usually have a bunch of keeper sized fish in the boat already. For a decade, live mackerel in my usual haunts have been virtually a lock for success on 15-20 lb fish. This year I can’t buy a big fish. Biggest fish thus far is 26”. Plenty of fish around, they just can’t fit a 12” mackerel in their mouths.

During that decade how many of those bass did you kill each season? Hopefully not more than a handful because the folks who do are one of the reasons we sit here today in this mess. 

On 6/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, b-ware said:

I would really like to agree with you but seeing the class (or lack off) fishermen out there today I just cant'.  I think back to fishing in the 80's and 90's with a 36' size limit the fishermen showed a lot more respect than they do now.  Of course that was before cell phones with cameras, the internet and the hooray for me attitudes.  What we need are true honest to goodness sportsmen who respect the resourse, take only what is needed.  How many fish would have a better chance of survival if they were released without a 15 minute photo shoot......

Your perception of the fisherman from the 80’s and 90’s (ESP mid-late 80’s) taking only what was needed is terribly flawed. So a couple things; 

- This current class of fisherman is releasing way more bass than the 80’s folks.   

- The  amounts of fish guys killed in the 80’swas obscene. To hear of a guy releasing a Big cow  was nonexistent.  

- Block Island  every Fall in the 80’s was a slaughter. The last and largest schools of bass in the North were demolished by guys chasing a profit.  40,50,60 pounders killed nightly. 

- Was it not the 80’s that witnessed the near collapse of striped bass stock. 

-Yes,  current day we all see a lot of crappy fisherman out there being idiots on social media. But there has always been and will continue to be these kind of folks. To think it wasn’t going on before is silly. It just wasn’t broadcast all over back then like it is now. 

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

During that decade how many of those bass did you kill each season? Hopefully not more than a handful because the folks who do are one of the reasons we sit here today in this mess. 

During that decade, I would kill whatever I wanted to eat, within the regulations. Realistically, that number probably averaged around 5-6 per year and nothing over 20lbs or so. I’ve always been conservation minded, so easy does it throwing blame darts and hoping they stick.

Your concept of the fishermen causing this is flawed. The cause of this is rooted with those who create the regulations - most likely due to poor data and poor forecasting of fish stocks. They tell the fisherman what is “safe” to keep to maintain a healthy fish stock. The fishermen (or most fishermen) rely on the regulations and the science behind them. 

There will always be fishermen who’s goal it is to fill their freezer. There will also always be fishermen that are 100% C&R. There will also always be guys that keep the max, just because they can. And there will always be guys that poach. But, the ultimate deciding factor behind what anyone is allowed to possess is the regulations, and that is where the blame should be put.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Also, one other thing - common sense would tell a lot of people that keeping 2 cows a day isn’t sustainable. That said, I don’t know how common common sense is any more. 

Our bass regulations should have been modeled after the redfish regs down south - a slot limit. The impact of keeping 2 28” fish vs the impact of keeping 2 40-50lb fish is night and day. I’m no scientist, but I can confidently say that I can totally understand how there’s a huge difference in those two scenarios. Why the scientists create a blanket regulation that treats a 50” breeder the same as a 28” male is beyond me.

Now that we are down to one fish a day and it is clear that the fish are in trouble, why the hell aren’t we protecting the breeders? Probably comes down to $$ in someone’s pocket, unfortunately.

Edited by JTR

I use to stay Big Fish Change People....so now the new observation is, "What happens when those people can't find the big fish anymore?" :laugh:

People can get desperate, that's what I see. Now it's gang bang an area when pockets show up and everyone hammers the bass. These are recs and now comms starts Monday?  It's only going to get more heated out there.  People with short fuses dealing with crap...including myself. It's going to be a battle ladies and gentlemen. People are on edge!

Just remember one thing people....no matter how tough it gets out there, respect your fellow angler and follow the etiquette rules on the water we all know to be true. No matter how much you have been struggling to find big fish if someone is fishing a spot before you and hooking up let that person be and give them space. 

I'm not saddened one bit that it isn't lights-out fishing right now--no squid flying everywhere, no kamikaze bass, and no (well, few) Ditch-wit anglers--because I will be able to actually fish for stripers in the next few days.

4 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I'm not saddened one bit that it isn't lights-out fishing right now--no squid flying everywhere, no kamikaze bass, and no (well, few) Ditch-wit anglers--because I will be able to actually fish for stripers in the next few days.

Yup, three more days for me, and then off for a week, fishing everyday.

3 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Yup, three more days for me, and then off for a week, fishing everyday.

If you'll be hitting the ditch, I'd love to catch some tides with you!  

On 6/23/2019 at 9:40 PM, The Riddler said:

I use to stay Big Fish Change People....so now the new observation is, "What happens when those people can't find the big fish anymore?" :laugh:

People can get desperate, that's what I see. Now it's gang bang an area when pockets show up and everyone hammers the bass. These are recs and now comms starts Monday?  It's only going to get more heated out there.  People with short fuses dealing with crap...including myself. It's going to be a battle ladies and gentlemen. People are on edge!

Fishermen start your engines!

2 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

If you'll be hitting the ditch, I'd love to catch some tides with you!  

Sorry bud, i’m gonna be much farther North with the fam! We’ll get out together when i get home!

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Sorry bud, i’m gonna be much farther North with the fam! We’ll get out together when i get home!

Next time then.