mkus

Stop paying big bucks for fly lines!!!

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have been using these lines for a few years and they’re great they make 100 ft clear intermediate lines and there is a Canadian company that sells sinking lines which are great also on  eBay...

i’ve  used both all on saltwater species albies Bonita bass blues with great results!

D8A1942A-AB47-4123-98B5-BD24721C3F61.jpeg

803DA32A-5620-4A56-8EAC-4BB75FF582C2.png

Edited by mkus

Just trying to let people know through my experience using both and the 100 ft is great I like the length I have no problem casting 100ft 

See, I feel the total opposite. I've cast those cheap lines on nice rods and they don't work out for me. I'm of the mindset now to spend up on high end line and settle for mid priced or budget rod. The new expensive lines cast themselves I feel like. 

But it's definitely just preference. Thanks for sharing. 

Man that will save me a bundle. Hey if it works and can hold up?  Great!

1 hour ago, BillyBallGame said:

See, I feel the total opposite. I've cast those cheap lines on nice rods and they don't work out for me. I'm of the mindset now to spend up on high end line and settle for mid priced or budget rod. The new expensive lines cast themselves I feel like. 

But it's definitely just preference. Thanks for sharing. 

Ive had the same with top lines cast like crap and tangle like mad from coiling 

better off using a $90 fly rod and a well designed line vs a cheap line and expensive rod.  If you are gonna go cheap on the rod and the line that makes total sense to me.  

That said at prices that low it seems like its worth an experiment with these lines. @mkus thanks for sharing I certainly have thrown $20 away on dumb things so taking a less than $20 risk on a fly line to see if its worth using is a gamble I can live with.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

I've gotten some shooting heads off amazon for ten bucks a pop, they work fine and they even look almost identical to some more expensive brands---those big buck Rio prices scare me  :hooked:

36 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

better off using a $90 fly rod and a well designed line vs a cheap line and expensive rod.  If you are gonna go cheap on the rod and the line that makes total sense to me.  

I believe it’s the person behind the cast I have no problems throwing most lines on any rod made sage loom is T&T

but I’ve seen $90.00 fly lines coil so bad people throw them away!

I have over 26 years of saltwater fly fishing experience and a $90.00 line on any rod will not make you a better caster or make the rod cast better lol.

And the same with a $1000.00 rod.

And these lines hold up well with dozens of albies on them I just cast the whole 100ft 9wt  clear line above on a 8 wt t 12 yo T&T horizon rod with two false casts pretty good for”cheap line”!huh?

Edited by mkus

19 mins ago, jimmythe bee said:

I've gotten some shooting heads off amazon for ten bucks a pop, they work fine and they even look almost identical to some more expensive brands---those big buck Rio prices scare me  :hooked:

Lol right people buy them ??? try these lines they cast better than most oh if you have a $1000.00 rod maybe they won’t cast as well lol

54 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

That said at prices that low it seems like its worth an experiment with these lines. @mkus thanks for sharing I certainly have thrown $20 away on dumb things so taking a less than $20 risk on a fly line to see if its worth using is a gamble I can live with.

Try one I use both of these lines above mostly on albies the sinkers from Canada are top shelf lines and last to..

PS

I  get 30 yards of running line for ten bucks also, the only thing I can't find is the sinking tip sections for the end of the head---I've been experimenting with homemade ones--let's say it's a work in progress.

13 hours ago, mkus said:

I believe it’s the person behind the cast I have no problems throwing most lines on any rod made sage loom is T&T

but I’ve seen $90.00 fly lines coil so bad people throw them away!

I have over 26 years of saltwater fly fishing experience and a $90.00 line on any rod will not make you a better caster or make the rod cast better lol.

And the same with a $1000.00 rod.

And these lines hold up well with dozens of albies on them I just cast the whole 100ft 9wt  clear line above on a 8 wt t 12 yo T&T horizon rod with two false casts pretty good for”cheap line”!huh?

These are dirt cheap.  My poor experiences have been with lines in the 40 dollar range.  They had bad tapers and the coatings fell apart quickly.  At half the cost of an expensive line, it was very aggravating.  

at 1/10th the cost this seems like a risk worth taking.  Personally, have not had a bad experience with expensive line experience.  They have all met my expectations.  But I  up for trying this.  in particular, because I dredge the bottom a lot and I beat sinking lines up.  2 seasons max for my sinking lines due to the abuse I put them through.  This could save me serious money over time.  

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

I've had very god luck with some of the Chinese fly lines off TheBay. ( Companies who's namaes that start with AN and MA to be more specific.)  In fact, I just replaced a $130 SA Amplitude line ( which I hated) with a $16 Chinese "Gold" line on my NRX 6 wt and couldn't be happier with this set-ups performance . I'm not going to argue they are better lines than the name brand stuff  but I will argue that they deliver allot of bang for the buck ( well beyond their pricetags)